• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiber tub questions

weidjd

Hello thinking about changing out the tub on my 74 Ranger for one .Does the fiber tub add or detract value? Other than obvious no rust. How tuff are they? Looking at this or a new, maybe a nice used tub.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
If you had two broncos equally as nice, the glass one is worth less.

It's impossible to say how much. It's impossible to put a dollar sign on it when the rest of the quality of the build is a unknown. Is it worth more than a rotted and bashed steel tub, probably. But a nice steel tub will be worth more than a glass tub. And the nicer the build, the bigger the separation in value.

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
I would guess it would be of less value once complete. But I believe the fiberglass has some real appeal to some like myself. The ability to get them wet and muddy and dirty and run in these Michigan roads and salt here in there. If done right they look good to.
d0535d60bb82353636436994a0e79387.jpg

Miker

Bronco Guru
My .02$ worth - It's about the quality of the build and how well thought out the glass tub is, like, is the roll bar sandwich plated somehow directly into the frame, is it one of the tubs that has good steel reinforcing at key points and as much as anything what are the improvements/enhancements done to either?
I agree with Broncobowsher, the nicer the build of either one will start to separate the value between the two. Both builds of equal mechanics, improvements, paint, etc. and I'd think the metal would edge out the glass one... However, there are some killer glass ones out there now and improvements in tub development has apparently come a long, long way.

OP
OP
W

weidjd

Thanks for the info. Bronco design look great and have some really good reviews. Decisions

RPM289

I have a old glass tub (early 80's at least) and from what I see mine has been through some off road racing, crawling, trails, boggs etc. most of its life. I am pretty impressed. Check out my "garage" for some pics. BTW I love Bronco Design's new tub I will buy one for my next Bronco as I know where a couple of rusted up ones are. :)

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
It depends. Are you driving it? Side by side, fresh off a frame up resto, the metal will have more value. If you drive it, AND it's built with quality, the Fiber may hold it's value better due to less deterioration. The hair splitting here will depend if you are building it yourself, or shopping it out.

Broncitis

MEB Founder
On a lifted, modified Bronco it will not matter to many buyers if well done and a high quality body like the Bronco Design body.

Older Kentrols or Mallotte with no tailgate will certainly detract.

I can guarantee that none of you could spot a nicely built Bronco Design tub out from a crowd of metal ones unless you stuck you head in the wheel well or tapped on it. I've mistaken a few at shows for metal already as I was looking them over otherwise closely.

Some will actually prefer fiberglass since they will never have dreaded rust issues.

Of course if someone were trying to make a clone of a stock 66 U13 with one of the uncut fiberglass bodies, that will not be worth as much because the likely buyer places a higher value on originality and likely will not plan to wheel it or run it in the mud and snow.

In many cases, I'd rather have a quality glass body properly installed than much of the half-ass rust and metal repairs I regularly see performed and hidden under filler and paint by novices or flippers which resurface a few years later.

Bluebolt

Loc.
Benton LA
From the nightmare pictures of hidden rust I see on here I would prefer a Bronco Design tub LOL! If I was comparing two Bronco's one with a BD tub and the other with a repaired stock tub either I would have to see all the rebuild pictures on the steel one or I might value the BD higher if not available.

C Saporito

If you are looking at resale value and your current tub is in poor shape (why else would you consider it?) it may cost significantly more to repair your steel tub or purchase a new steel tub that switch to a glass tub. It might be worth more but not on the bottom line.

My biggest concern with restoring my steel tub was that it was in horrible shape, would have been very time consuming, very costly and a few years down the road when the rust in the seams started peeking out I'd be kicking myself in the butt.

From what I've seen and worked with, Bronco Design tubs are much better quality than what used to be produced. I haven't seen a downside yet, maybe after time it will develop stress cracks but I seriously doubt it with all the internal steel support.
One point that should be made is a glass tub is not an easy bolt on replacement, there are no holes, you need to align everything then make them. This is one of the reasons I would avoid purchasing a used tub, you could be stuck with someone else's crooked mess.

Still waiting to see one of the new steel tubs finished, I anticipate they will be nice for the price.