• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fiberglass hood or cowl induction insert on stock hood...which works best?

Jeff B

Loc.
Wilmington, NC
Trying to decide which choice would be better. Get a new fiberglass cowl induction type hood for extra clearance or repair the stock hood and bolt on a cowl induction insert on it. My hood has the typical metal fatigue and tears on the front sides of the hood with the driver's side having a top tear of about 2-3 inches.

If I go with the fiberglass, will it hold up structure wise and paint wise and will the same thing happen to the front sides of the hood like the metal one? If I repair the stock metal hood, which cowl induction insert would work the best and LOOK the best? Where do I get from for a good price?

***I have a stock 302 and I am adding a Edelbrock Performer intake, a Edelbrock 1406 carb and will probably run a spacer to help with cooling.***

Any suggestions would be well appreciated!

Skuzzlebutt

PhD, Dr. of Broncology
Loc.
Honeymoon Bay
If you want real cowl induction you should add the scoop onto a stock type hood. Cut a hole in the hood just large enough for the air filter to stick up thru. The base of the air cleaner should seal against the hood when it's closed. This way none of the air getting to the filter comes from the engine compartment, it all comes from the new rear hood opening.
If your primary concern is clearance for the new intake/carb I would go with a new, one piece hood that resembles cowl induction.