• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally Fired up the new Engine!

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
Hey all,<br> I finally fired up the reborn 289ci, it's now bored .030 over with a new Edelbrock Cam, 600cfm Edelbrock Carb. and Edelbrock intake w/180 degree stat.<br> I used the old crank turned it .010, all the rods were in good shape except one, it appeared to have some damage from something not sure what, so it was replaced. <br>( the old main bearings were stamped 1967, it was the original bore)<br>I installed new main bearings, hypereutectic pistons. I used a set of heads from a '94 mustang gt, these were reworked as well and topped with a new set of Edelbrock Elite Valve covers. <br> ( I have a New 14" Edelbrock Elite air filter but it will not fit with the MSD distributor :'( )<br>New oil pump, new timing chain and gears, new fuel pump, and a new water pump.<br>I went with a new MSD billit distributor, new MSD Offroad igition box and a new MSD blaster2 coil.<br>I thought I would have trouble with the wiring on the new electronic ignition, but the instructions were good. (the pictures helped me out a lot ?:? )<br> It ran like crap for about five minutes, then it just smooth right out with a couple of short turns on distributor.<br> I am still working on the linkage for the new carb/intake setup but I think this will be simple just a rod or cable will get me going.<br>I can't wait to take it for a ride, this engine fills strong with a good bit of torque. <br><br>Oh yeah, I had a little help with the rebuild, I friend of mine that has a blown '89 mustang gt pulling over 800 pony's did a lot of the work on the engine.<br><br>Sorry I couldn't take it for a spin tonight so I had to talk about to somebody.<br>Later, Jeff<br>

BroncoJAK

Bronco Guru
Now just pull the front shocks, add some traction bars, and some 33" slicks on the back and you're set cruise. 8)<br>Hope everything works well for you.

broncobsession

Bronco Guru
(in my best Tim Allen voice) ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH ARGH!<br><br>Congrats...don't get a ticket in that thing for SMOKIN' ;D

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=yellowrouge link=board=5;threadid=11545;start=0#84837 date=1037938026]<br>Now just pull the front shocks, add some traction bars, and some 33" slicks on the back and you're set cruise. 8)<br>Hope everything works well for you.<br>[/quote]<br>Thanks yellowrouge,<br>I don't think I have the engine built to hot for daily driving, it's only 9.5 to 1 compression ratio and the cam is only <br> "Lift"<br> int .448 / exh .472<br> "Duration at .050"<br> int 204 deg / exh 214 deg<br>It runs pretty smooth, I used the '94 gt heads because the old 289 heads didn't have harden seats for todays gasoline.<br>Besides I do need some torque to turn the 35 inch mud terrain tires, I'm guessing this engine to be around 250/275 pony's. but I may be off on that. <br>Can anybody calculate the hp on this engine? <br>later, Jeff

66horse

Bronco Guru
Sounds sweet. I am jealous, I fired up my rebuilt engine aobut a month ago, and it smoked white smoke! Cracked blcok but got the new one today so hopefully soon. I am curious what you did with the 289 heads. That is if you still have them.

OP
OP
J

jeff68

Loc.
Hattiesburg, MS.
[quote author=66horse link=board=5;threadid=11545;start=0#84901 date=1037945348]<br>Sounds sweet. I am jealous, I fired up my rebuilt engine aobut a month ago, and it smoked white smoke! Cracked blcok but got the new one today so hopefully soon. I am curious what you did with the 289 heads. That is if you still have them.<br>[/quote]<br><br>66horse,<br>I traded the 289 heads for the '94 gt heads, I didn't think I would need them.<br>I could probably get them back if I wanted them, I don't think my friend needed them for any thing, but he does a lot of part trading.<br>Jeff