• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally got the old bronk running today but.......

74bronk

For several months I had this annoying tick comming from the motor....at first I speculated that it was the valves on cylinder 1 need adjusted. But nope that wasnt it then it seemed to be a loose timing chain but luckily while trying to narrow down the noise I ran my hand along the bottom of the header on passenger side and felt a huge rush of air shooting out!! Turns out the Exhaust gasket was blown in two spots on cylinder 1. So I purchase aluminum gaskets and install. Then I checked the collector side on both headers and the bolts were loose as hell,exauhst was just pouring out of them! Exauhst guy on install didnt tighten bolts. (note to self periodically check collector bolts!) then I ordered a. New sending unit for gas tank a month ago so I decided today is they day I fixed this damn gauge issue. I remove old one then decided to check resistance with meter and it checked out fine!! WTF! Compared to new one it read the same!
Then I noticed the float was filled with gasoline! Ah so that's why it didn't work!! The original one I installed worked fine for about 2 years then always stayed on empty. Come to find out there was a pin hole in the "plastic" float! It filled up and just sank and stayed there! Well the new one has a brass or copper float hopefully it won't fill up like the previous one did. Something to think about for anyone replacing the sending unit!
Also bought e3 spark plugs I have to say so far I've noticed a big difference in the smell of the exhaust.. Less fule in the air! Little more power to! I'll Have to measure my mileage and post!
sorry just wanted to share my Bronco experience with somebody!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
dayuuum, sounds like some issues I would have. lol

Hang in there.. ;)

dave67fd

Bronco Guru
Glad you worked out your issues. Minor issues when you consider thinking the worst.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Nothing to see here people... move along

Been there so many times, I view each one as learning experience. Glad you got to turn your own wrenches!

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
this is what I found when I pulled out my original sending unit... look familiar?

SendingUnitHole.jpg

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Keep us posted on the e3 spark plugs millage...mine needs all the help in that area it can get.;)