• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally, my '68 Build thread begins!

chico68

After looking for years and years, and finally having a little cash to make it happen I bought my first classic bronco last November (2010). I bought it from an old friend and had little information about it. I got the VIN and did some research on it. 1968 u15, manual steering, manual drum brakes, rear 9" and front Dana 30 with 3.50 gears.

The engine originally a 289 but was replaced with a 1969 302. Transmission was a 3 on a tree. The Tub was virtually rust free, less the floorpans. Slight front end damage.The Bronco had not been registered since 1997. I picked up the Bronco for $2750, I thought it was a decent deal. I didn't originally plan for a frame off, but Im sure its not the first time y'all have heard that.

The following pics are of the Day I brought her home. Because I have had it a year I will post many threads and pics and try to get caught up.

Oops photos soon to come, I had to sign up as a contributor. Be back soon!

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chico68

Bringin her home

Got her home to the shop and started to dig in. I found a pretty sweet custom muffler bracket. And someone used a hood latch cable for the spare tire carrier.

Started to find the damage that sitting around untouched for ten years can bring about.

shop1.jpg topless.jpg custom muffler  bracket.jpg

front view.jpg home at the shop.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chico68

Tear down continues

These next pics are from approx. 6-7 months ago. Tear down, evaluation, research, decisions! Overbudget already!

This is about the time the frame off decision was made. Welded up braces in the door openings and across the bed rails. Welded up a hoop and a support on the floor so I could use a cherry picker to lift the frame off. I was able to do it myself with this method.

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

disassembly begins.jpg engine pulled.jpg front brake inspection.jpg

iphonepics 038.jpg door bracing.jpg bed bracing.jpg

bracing final.jpg removing body.jpg

Last edited:

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Looks like you have a creampuff of a tub to work with. They just don't exist in that shape around my neck of the woods.

What's your plan on the build (mild, wild or somewhere in the middle)? Keep the pics coming!!

OP
OP
C

chico68

Frame and stuff

Frame ready for blastin'. Got a line on a dana 44 to swap out my Dana 30. Already have the Wildhorses Disc conversion and 3 1/2 inch lift waitin in the garage.

iphonepics 068.jpg ready for sandblast.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

chico68

Build plans

Sellitall,

My build plans have and continue to change day to day. I have decided to do a mild trail street cruiser with my main focus on the Bronco being mechanically sound and safe and reliable for my family and I to cruise in.

Thank goodness I have a creampuff of a tub because the tub, the frame, the top and the rear end housing are the only things that will remain.

I found out the '69 302 in the rig that "was running when parked" but "had carb problems" was a boat anchor. I have a '87 5.0 roller short block being built right now with a mild cam upgrade. I have a performer 2121 aluminum intake getting clear coated right now and a flowcooler water pump ready to go. I havent decided on the carb yet.

I just picked up a c-4 from a 74 maverick along with the output shaft and advanced adapters intermediade housing.

Looking into power steering options right now. Leaning toward a 4X4X2 set up with a saginaw pump set up for hydroboost brakes.

I have already done quite a few of the "little things" to get ready for assembly.

Here are some pics of my heater box rebuild, dash mod for front roll bar, gauge cluster rebuild, etc. Still open to any suggestions. I ve already gotten a ton of help from the members here.
dash modify1.jpg dashmod2.jpg iphonepics 050.jpg

heater box2.jpg heaterbox4.jpg Heater box rebuilt2.jpg

heaterbox rebuilt1.jpg c-4.jpg

sellitall

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Malvern, Pennsylva
Sellitall,

My build plans have and continue to change day to day. I have decided to do a mild trail street cruiser with my main focus on the Bronco being mechanically sound and safe and reliable for my family and I to cruise in.

Amen to that. I have a 74 that I'm building the rotisserie for now. I'm going to make it a LUBR, but with some wheelin' goodies (winch, bumpers, rear locker etc.) that I hope never REALLY has to get a workout.

I have a 6 mon. old son who has definitely re-prioritized my way of building a rig along with how you use it.

mattyq17

Bronco Guru
Nice looking rig to start with keep the pics and progress coming!

OP
OP
C

chico68

a little more work done

Got some work done preparing my frame for paint in the next couple weeks. Cut off the original shock mounts and will weld on some f250 mounts on Tuesday. i am trying to decide whether or not to weld up a wild horses inboard shock mount. having some second thoughts considering I am not too concerned about articulation in the rear and ive heard some members complain of body roll.

If I dont I hope I can return it to WH. Any thoughts? Also got my performer intake back from getting a clearcoat and my short block is ready to bring home.

iphonepics 191.jpg iphonepics 196.jpg iphonepics 195.jpg

OP
OP
C

chico68

work continues

welded up the inboard shock mount and f250 front shock towers. Took it to a buddies and painted the frame with some single stage chassis black.

Waiting on a set of axles, a dana 44 and 9" rear with 4:10. Mine originally had a dana 30 with 3:50's. once I get the axles I can start the build-up. also picked up my motor.

heres some pics....
iphonepics 202.jpg iphonepics 203.jpg iphonepics 209.jpg

iphonepics 210.jpg iphonepics 211.jpg iphonepics 212.jpg

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
welded up the inboard shock mount and f250 front shock towers. Took it to a buddies and painted the frame with some single stage chassis black.

Waiting on a set of axles, a dana 44 and 9" rear with 4:10. Mine originally had a dana 30 with 3:50's. once I get the axles I can start the build-up. also picked up my motor.
heres some pics....
View attachment 235614 View attachment 235615 View attachment 235616

View attachment 235617 View attachment 235618 View attachment 235619

Nice.. Look forward to seeing your progress on it.