• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Finally replaced my stock 55A alternator, UPDATE

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=15#msg130705 date=1052191588]
Donde esta las paliculas? :p
[/quote]

Hey digmy, congratulations on your choice of alts.

1G (Large Housing externally regulated)
I swear by this 1G large housing alt now. I'm about to build one to put on my pick-up truck too. The pick-up has 2 batteries so the test info I get from that will be interesting.
Let us know how yours turns out.
The best part is that it's Ford.

Delco alternators
There is nothing wrong with Delco alternators as far as the performance and reliablity that is engineered into them. I just think it would be embarassing to walk into a parts store and say I need a GM part to keep my Ford running. Then have to deal with all the questions, or… ha ha you should have bought a blazer. What about later on down the road when you sell the vehicle? The poor sucker who buys it will really be lost if he ever has to replace that alt again. I will not put a chevy part on any vehicle I own unless it's a Chevy car or truck. I guess I just can’t stand half breeds. Anyone who is that much in love with chevy parts, should sell their Ford and go buy a chevy. People always talk about easy wire hook-ups and eliminating Voltage Reg wiring. Easy is not always better in my opinion.

How about a 3G ?
The 3G is a powerful workhorse and is very capeable at pumping out the Amps. Many EB owners are now using it and recommend it. One thing I don't like about the 3G, is that the slip rings where the brushes ride on the rotor wear out too quickly. The slip rings on the 1G large case rotor are thicker and have a wider brush contact area. Also, the internal voltage regulator on the 3G is not as beefy as the externals that are available for stock replacement on the EB. Other than that the 3G would prolly be my second choice.

Here are examples where a 3G may be preferred
I have a 2G on my Thunderbird that came as factory equipment. The 2Gs are known to melt wiring or even catch fire if the wire terminals get loose where the Batt leads connect to the rectifier. So when that one fails again, I will replace it with a 3G only because the 2G is also internally regulated, and the 3G replacement is more compatable with that vehicle's wiring. If I had space limitations where the large housing wouldn’t fit very well, then the 3G could be a better option. The 3G has 2 internal fans, so if the external fan on a 1G or 2G gets in your way, or you prefer a smoother outward appearance, then the 3G may work out to be better for your purposes.

Sorry about the essays, I'm just excited about my results

BH

digmy76

Wow! That was a mouth full ;) ;D! I purchased a G1 (I think) today from advance auto. $105.00 :mad: but it looks nice and has a LLT Warranty. I got it by asking for a 100AMP alt. for an '86 Crown Vic with a 351. I need to put the pulley from my old alt onto the new one (the G1 has a really small pulley). Once I figure out what I need to do in order to wire it up.....I'll be up and running. Anybody have some details on what I need to ask for from NAPA for the wiring?

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=15#msg132172 date=1052618237]
Wow! That was a mouth full ;) ;D! I purchased a G1 (I think) today from advance auto. $105.00 :mad: but it looks nice and has a LLT Warranty. I got it by asking for a 100AMP alt. for an '86 Crown Vic with a 351. I need to put the pulley from my old alt onto the new one (the G1 has a really small pulley). Once I figure out what I need to do in order to wire it up.....I'll be up and running. Anybody have some details on what I need to ask for from NAPA for the wiring?
[/quote]

Just go into Napa and tell them you need a Stator/Field plug for an 86 Crown Vic. They should have one exactly like the pics on the previous posts. Just remember, you don't need to use a smaller pulley on that large alt, you are spinning around a lot of copper inside there and it will charge very well, even at slower RPMs.

BH

digmy76

Hey, Bwoncohowie. Do you mean I should keep the small pulley that came on the new 1G or should I switch to the larger pulley that was on my original alt? ??? Thanks for all the help.. Also, once I get the plug from napa does it splice directly to the Bronco wires or is there some trick? On a side note...my elec. choke is hooked up from the back of my alternator....is this right? If not, where should the elec. choke be wired to?

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=15#msg132183 date=1052620792]
Hey, Bwoncohowie. Do you mean I should keep the small pulley that came on the new 1G or should I switch to the larger pulley that was on my original alt? ??? Thanks for all the help.. Also, once I get the plug from napa does it splice directly to the Bronco wires or is there some trick? On a side note...my elec. choke is hooked up from the back of my alternator....is this right? If not, where should the elec. choke be wired to?
[/quote]

digmy,

The choke wire is just a Hot wire when the ign. is on. Some Fords including mine wire the electric choke jumper off the Alt harness.

Splice
Cut the ends off your existing stator and field terminals and splice the new plug orange to orange, this is the Field terminal. Then splice white to white, this is the Stator terminal. These terminals will be labeled FLD and STA on the back of your old and new alt. Don't forget to connect your ground wire too.

Pulley Size?
What are the diameters of your 2 pulleys?

BH

digmy76

The diameter of the pulleys is approximately 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" on both of them? Is that going top work or should I change them. Also, when splicing the wires what do I use to do it....electrical tape or what? What is the best way to do it. Again, I really appreciate the help!

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=15#msg132904 date=1052840335]
The diameter of the pulleys is approximately 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" on both of them? Is that going top work or should I change them. Also, when splicing the wires what do I use to do it....electrical tape or what? What is the best way to do it. Again, I really appreciate the help!
[/quote]

If it's going to be permanent, then do this for each wire: Slide on 2 layers of shrink tubing, do a western union splice then solder it. After that position the first layer of tubing long enough to cover the bare wires and shrink it in place. Then slide the slightly longer length of shrink tubing over that and shrink it in place.

For non-permanent splices and testing just use some Posi-Lock connectors.

There are many other ways to splice wires, the 2 above are what I use the most. For all weather connections use RTV under the shrink tube or buy shrink tube that has heat activated self adhesive on the inside.

BH

digmy76

The diameter of the pulleys is approximately 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" on both of them? Is that going top work or should I change them?

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=digmy76 link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=15#msg132926 date=1052847162]
The diameter of the pulleys is approximately 2 1/4" to 2 1/2" on both of them? Is that going top work or should I change them?
[/quote]

"Any of the pulleys will work"
The 1G large housing I'm now running has a 2 7/8" pulley on it. I hunted it down at the boneyard. It's a matter of preference and I think the reasons why were already mentioned.

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=dpm77 link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=15#msg132982 date=1052864587]
God I cannot believe how ignorant I am. ::) Howie, what the H*ll is a western union splice?

thanks,

dpm

[/quote]

dpm,
go here

http://soderblom.net/bronco/tech/largealt/

then scroll about half way down the page and click on western-union. hee hee ;D

Don't be so hard on your self, I've done this splice for years without knowing what it's called...

BH

SeanNollan

If I don't have a serp setup how do i get a v-belt arrangement on my bronco? Does anybody know if the stock mounts will work also?

SeanNollan

[quote author=SeanNollan link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=30#msg133081 date=1052888913]
If I don't have a serp setup how do i get a v-belt arrangement on my bronco? Does anybody know if the stock mounts will work also?
[/quote]

Nevemind Ijust saw that you're a V-belt also. Did the Alt. come with a surp pulley or a V-belt one.

DPM77

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Seattle, Washington
OK, I get it.

The extra step of the double shrink tube, that is a great tip Howie. I am going to start doing it. I have never been able to waterproof to my satisfaction. That seems like it would work well.

thanks,

dpm

OP
OP
BwoncoHowie

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
[quote author=SeanNollan link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=30#msg133522 date=1053014698]
[quote author=SeanNollan link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=30#msg133081 date=1052888913]
[/quote]

Nevemind I just saw that you're a V-belt also. Did the Alt. come with a surp pulley or a V-belt one.
[/quote]

The 86-88 Taurus comes with the Serpantine pulley. The 86 Crown Vic comes with a V-belt pulley. Sometimes the Crown Vic alt is only 70 or 90A, so be wary of that. Most every Taurus i've seen at the boneyard was 100A

BH

77BroncoWag

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Re:Finally replaced my stock 55A alternator

[quote author=jester link=board=5;threadid=13627;start=0#msg102555 date=1043443675]
before 55
55amount.jpg

after 100
100amount.jpg

altsize.jpg

[/quote]

Why do these pics always do this?