• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fire extinguisher reminder

Bluelimo

Loc.
Providence, UT
Finally fixed some stuff over the winter and yesterday took the Bronco out for the first time in 4 years. Ended up having an underhood fire. I grabbed my extinguisher (that has been mounted in the Bronco for 17 years) and it put out one tiny puff before I even had it pointed in the right direction....then nothing! Luckily I was able to get the fire out without the extinguisher with only mininal damage and injury.

Moral of the story is: check your extinguishers! Bronco, home, garage, shop, etc.....

Have fun out there!

Archangel

I worked on a Drill Rig for a few years, easiest way any rig or crew would get safety shut down is if any one of the fire extinguishers weren't inspected monthly and replaced yearly. one thing i'm glad that was burned into my mind lol

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
Very good advice. All my extinguishers are halon or halitron. They last for years and can be re used if you dont use it all. No mess and less damage to your rig.

Sent from your moms bedroom using tapthat 2.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I have been playin with fire by not having one in the rig! Gonna have to get one for sure before the next big trip! Thankfully no PUFFS of smoke yet! :eek:

TwoDalesDad

Bronco Guru
I too have halon, also..halitron...i have had a few fires in my lifetime....the only thing worse than the fire itself....is when the abc fire extinguisher has been sittig....for eternity....if you can...every couple of months...just turn-um upside down...in the hanger...

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
Hit them with a rubber mallet on the bottom will help also.

Sent from your moms bedroom using tapthat 2.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Glad your incident wasn't worst. Great pointer & Advice as well..

AZ73

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What caused the fire? I'd rather prevent one than have to be good at putting one out.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Great reminder. Another point is after spending thousands on your bronco dont go cheap on the extinguisher. My 72 had an under hood fire last year and the cheap extinguisher I had didn't work. Lucky for me I was @ a grocery store & a guy just rolled out with a gallon of water. Needless to say now both rigs have top of the line ones now.

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Finally fixed some stuff over the winter and yesterday took the Bronco out for the first time in 4 years. Ended up having an underhood fire. I grabbed my extinguisher (that has been mounted in the Bronco for 17 years) and it put out one tiny puff before I even had it pointed in the right direction....then nothing! Luckily I was able to get the fire out without the extinguisher with only mininal damage and injury.

Moral of the story is: check your extinguishers! Bronco, home, garage, shop, etc.....

Have fun out there!

One of the reasons I've considered hood props. Imagine a fire under the hood and having to lift it and use the hood prop all while freaking out w a fire. One of these days I'll get to it.

Oakland Bronco

Loc.
San Francisco, CA
Imagine a fire under the hood and having to lift it and use the hood prop all while freaking out w a fire. One of these days I'll get to it.

Yup, that was me. You can see the fire pics in my fire thread (search for "Heartbroken"). 2.5lb ABC didn't get it out. The owner of a nearby restaurant came over with a 10lb ABC and that helped. A 5gal bucket of water finished it off. Whew...then looked through the driver's side window...fire under the dash! I grabbed a 10lb extinguisher from a police officer and extinguished that.

My restoration is still in progress, but I've already ordered a 2.5lb halotron from WH. Will probably purchase a second one later on. I will likely buy some hood props as well.

BronCowie

Contributor
Old Timer
Loc.
Vancouver, WA
...My restoration is still in progress, but I've already ordered a 2.5lb halotron from WH. Will probably purchase a second one later on. I will likely buy some hood props as well.

I've read enough stories, here and elsewhere, where 1 was not enough, I have 2 now, and hood shocks. Next, I need to rig up a quick-disconnect on the battery.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
I recently had an eb fire in my garage. It was welding related (front winch bumper). My 17 year old abc fire extinguisher did a great job with just one good squirt. Work was throwing a bunch of them away years ago when we moved to another building.

I too flip it over and wack it with a rubber mallet every once in a while.
But I want one of those clean agent extinguishers like WH sells with that
cool mount. I'll get one soon but I still have another abc fire extinguisher and
it's only a few years old.
I do sometimes take my chances.......
But I just can't "roll the dice" on the fire stuff even if I do have a few really old fire extinguishers.

Sniper

Contributor
Loc.
Omaha Nebraska
had an old one, picked up another one from ACE hardware, they are cheap and worth it, i got one specifically for putting out auto fires and combustible liquids, still need to mount the bracket somewhere though, thinking roll bar somehow, but for now it sits in my center console.