• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Firestone Airbags(for front Springs)

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
Is anybody using or have used aftermarket front coil airbags on their Bronco.
I was going to replace my stock air bags to take some weight off the front,as i am carrying a 6000 pound warn winch and bumper!
Can you give me some idea if it a good buy.

What are the pros and cons?

MarsChariot

Contributor
Planetary Offroader
Loc.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
They were popular back in the seventies before articulation became all the thing. I had a set of AirLift bags on the front and on the back. They worked well. Before loading the back with gear I would pump them up several punds over the nominal 18 pounds or so and the rear end stayed level. The fronts seemed to take some of the load off the front springs to the extent that the sagging was delayed several years. The only problem was that they had a lifetime of only a few years before cracking. Usuually cold weather did them in in the end. Once they no longer became available for the rear, I removed them from the front. Miss them.

OP
OP
P

popsbronco

Loc.
Edmonton Canada
MarsChariot said:
They were popular back in the seventies before articulation became all the thing. I had a set of AirLift bags on the front and on the back. They worked well. Before loading the back with gear I would pump them up several punds over the nominal 18 pounds or so and the rear end stayed level. The fronts seemed to take some of the load off the front springs to the extent that the sagging was delayed several years. The only problem was that they had a lifetime of only a few years before cracking. Usuually cold weather did them in in the end. Once they no longer became available for the rear, I removed them from the front. Miss them.

I apreciated the information on the air bags.
I will be putting them on the front only as the rear seem ok with heavy duty shocks and the leaf springs.

ehumaui

Check this out, I fab up some brackets and used air ride bags. Crazy idea...to much time on my hands, bouncy on the road. Maybe not the right shocks? It was cool to see it go up and down.

Attachments

• air bags.jpg
    air bags.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 86

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
The cons in my case is they last about a year here in cold country then they leak and do nothing. Your results may vary where you live

stevew

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Elliston Montana
Well I'm in Montana too & I've run Air Lift bags with my 3 1/2" coils for plowing & they're holding up just fine after 4 years . The Bronco sits outside 'year around too . I still have old STIFF Rancho coils so the bags may not do much ! :p

GranDads74

Loc.
Halifax, N.S. Canada
My Bronco started off as a plow truck with my grandfather and they were great at helping the with the extra load of a 6.5' Fisher snowplow. They were replaced once and are now not holding air any more.

The ones on mine are inside the coil springs. They do wear out and need to be replaced, with the up and down motion they rub on the coil springs and get holes.

Kevin