• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First bronco, completely rotted, buy or keep looking?

Fur_Pig

I'm looking to build an EB for a family fun rig and weekend rock crawler. Whatever I get will be getting 1 tons, 4 links, FI 351 swap etc. so I'm not overly concerned with that aspect of my base vehicle.
That being said, my neighbor has a 69 bronco sport that I can get for less than a grand however the body is completely rotted out. It needs all floors, floor supports, rockers, a-pillars/firewall, b-pillars/door sills, front window frame, inner fenders etc. and that's just with a 5 minute glance. The doors are decent, the hardtop and hood are in good shape and all glass is intact.
I am pretty good with metal fabrication but haven't done a lot of rust repair. I do not want to tie up a boat load of money in the body but know this will require complete panel and piece replacements. The axles, suspension and frame are totally rusty but since I'm dumping the axles and suspension anyway it didn't freak me out too much. Is it worth it or should I keep looking? I don't want to have unrealistic expectations in my price range (less than 3k for donor vehicle) but I don't want to start off on the wrong foot.
Thank you guys so much!

Okbroncoman

Look at the money you would spend on rust repair

Then add that to your buying budget

I would find a better rig to start my build.
Rust is time consuming and $$$ consuming

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
If you are doing a full custom a rust bucket may be a good start. I would dump the body if you get it and go with a fiberglass body. I have seen a very few like you describe brought back from the brink but it took a tremendous amount of time and money to do so. Since originality is not something you are interested in fiberglass is probably your cheapest and easiest option. You could probably recoup most of your initial cost on a sub $1k Bronco by selling the parts you don't need. If the frame is good and you sell all of the drivetrain and misc parts you will likely end up with a near free frame to start with.

OP
OP
F

Fur_Pig

I thought about the fiberglass body route but they are pricey (like 4k?) and wouldn't hold up too well to rock crawling impacts etc.
I think you guys are right though, bringing this back without replacing every body piece/panel may be unrealistic.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If the frame is good it might not be a bad start. With all that rust check the frame really well. An EB has a fully boxed frame (good) but it holds mud and rusts in certain places (bad). Check around the gas tank straps and behind the spring hangers. Also the body mounts on the frame can rust bad. Then toss the body and look for a better tub. Or check with Bronco Design - their tubs are less than $4K but add the front fenders, hood, grille, etc., it probably is in the $4K range. I went with their rear skins instead of a full tub.

Mattco

Loc.
Dothan, AL
Mine was rusted pretty bad and I have been working on it since last fall off and on. I'm having fun doing it but it is a lot of work.

FYI, I drug it out of the woods but the frame is nice, it had a C4 and D20 in it and a few really nice parts.

Depending on what you are wanting to do with it in the end, with 1 tons and 4 links I would assume some heavy playing. I wouldn't go the fiberglass route on a random frame. However, if the top is in good shape and there are some good parts on it, I might would pick that one up for the top and as a parts Bronco.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Whatever I get will be getting 1 tons, 4 links, FI 351 swap etc.
Hi and welcome to Classic Broncos dot Com!

From what you said, the only thing you'd use from a doner is the frame and the sheet metal.

So, why not buy just the frame and a tub. Watch our classifieds. Frames and tubs are listed routinely.

TN1776

Bronco Guru
When a tub needs more than just a few panels replaced, depending on your skills, patience, and budget, finding a better tub starts to make more sense. Most EB tubs need front floor pans, some need some attention in the cowl and windshield frame area. Beyond that, its a ton of work. If you can get the guy to come down off of his asking price, this will at least get you started. From your stated objectives, you're paying for a frame and a title, and a questionable body tub. A solid frame and a valid title are worth less than $1000 in my opinion. The body may be scrap at this point.

No1hedberg

Loc.
Buckhannon WV
I thought about the fiberglass body route but they are pricey (like 4k?) and wouldn't hold up too well to rock crawling impacts etc.
I think you guys are right though, bringing this back without replacing every body piece/panel may be unrealistic.

I wouldn't dismiss the fiberglass tub so easily. There are lots of people here who will tell you they are bad, and lots who will tell you they are good. The Bronco Design tub is well made and sturdy. Cracked fiberglass is actually easier to fix than smashed in steel. Think of all the time you won't be spending cutting and grinding and replacing metal panels, just to thrash around in.

lilthom

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And then there is the idea of just tubing your rig and hanging skins on it. If it is going to be a fun trail rig you certainly don't need to worry about much more than the basics to keep that great Bronco look. Welcome to the Bronco addiction!

OP
OP
F

Fur_Pig

Guys,
Thanks for the feedback! It's easy to get excited when you see an EB for $400 w/o powertrain, $800 w/powertrain but I think I'll hold out and wait for a clean body and frame to pop up.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I started out with a really nice Bronco for my build - I didn't know that is what I was going to do with it at the time but I'm running into some rust years later and I'm glad I didn't start with any of the piles I've come across since....

I wish I could find something this nice to do my street build with- I put hundreds of problem free miles on this before I starting modifying it.
DSCI0040.jpg

I say keep on looking!