• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First car advice needed

bb247

OK well I wanted an early Bronco really bad, but my parents are saying I need something more reliable. My budget is $9,000. I want something unique just how broncos are. I am mostly looking to get an SUV/truck.

So anyone have any suggestions? Pics would be nice too. Thanks ;D

ransil

Bronco Guru
I would buy something else, Broncos can be reliable but I would not get one as the only vehicle with fuel above $4 a gallon I suggest something that gets decent mileage.

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
$9,000 will get you a pretty reliable Bronco. Plus, I think that you should get something that isn't reliable - it teaches you how to fix your own ride when it breaks down. ;)

Heus33

Bronco Guru
$9,000 will get you a pretty reliable Bronco. Plus, I think that you should get something that isn't reliable - it teaches you how to fix your own ride when it breaks down. ;)

Thats good advice and a great recipe to become a gearhead for life! ;D

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
I agree with Devin. You should by a small Ranger (mid to late 90's) and then get a project Bronco (that is somewhat running). Learn to wrench on both. Start with the ranger, tons of parts for them (cheap) Ford made these things the same for many years. Ok on gas too.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree with Ohio Bronco 21, find something in the 3K range that is economical then take the rest of the money you have budgeted and find a nice Bronco (you can still get a nice rig in the 6K range) this will give you something to drive while you shop around for just the right one, also you will have a car to get parts when you need and you want have to ask the parents to borrow theirs.

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
X2 Buy a Toyota so you DON'T have to work on it, and then find a cheaper 'fixer upper' Bronco. That way you can use your parts budget to only work on one vehicle.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL

I was thinking the same thing.. Even less than $9K probably...

tmacstickman

Definitely something economical, like a Honda or Toyota. You should be able to get one for $5k, and with the leftover $$ you can get yourself a decent project EB you can be proud of.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
9k you have plenty to get an econobox that you can run and run and run as well as a pretty decent 5k Bronco. 5k can get you quite a bit of Bronco right now, the prices are pretty low. My first setup that I had some 15 years ago was a Ford Festiva as my daily driver first car and a 67 Bronco to play and learn on. 9k is a good budget.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I'm about to buy something small since gas is so high. I found a used corolla for $4500. If you do something like that, you would still have a chunk to put towards a bronco, plus some for parts. Who says you don't need to vehicles?

daddyg

Bronco Parts Collector
Loc.
Toney,AL
My first vehicle was a 74 Bronco and honestly it was the most unreliable vehicle I have ever owned.. That being said it's still in my garage after 26 years, I love the thing.

For 9K you can buy a pretty nice Bronco that would probably be reliable. I have a 76 I paid less than 1/2 of that for that's extremely reliable, I drive it to work quite a bit. But it sucks the gas.

That being said I would recommend buying something that's good on gas then buying a Bronco for a second car. You should be able to get both for 9K if your patient.

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
If you get a Saturn SL You will get it cheap, You will not have to put much into it and its great on gas. The Saturns are usually cheaper than Honda or Toyotas and just as reliable. Im talking 2 grand to 3 grand. You would still have 6 or 7 left for the Bronco.

Dan's73

Bronco Guru
If your Dad isn't opposed to turning some wrenches I'd approach him with the idea of 2 vehicles as others have suggested. One a decent little import that'll get good mileage and not need much work (aside from regular maintenance) and the other a decent EB for fun & learning.

Of course, I tried this tack back in the mid 80's when I was looking at first cars and my Dad didn't go for it. The Bronco was his and a monster of a '79 Cougar was mine if I could get it running. gas was under $1.00 then, so it wasn't nearly the consideration that it is now.....

FSRBIKER

Loc.
Oak Ridge, NJ
Just realize your gas mileage will be around 10-12 mpg and the price of gas. You can get better gas mileage with additions like fuel injection, 5 speed or overdrive auto trans, etc. My first car was a 65 Mustang I restored for 2 years before I turned 17, I learned alot working on that car and it was well worth the effort. I say go for it IF you can swing the gas for the Bronco. One advantage is that your Bronco would either hold it's value or appreciate as you own it.

Last edited: