• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

First test drive today...won't shift.

oldiron

Bronco Guru
I got to take the '72 out today for the first test drive with all the new stuff. Suspension is working great, brakes are very nearly perfect, steering is a little less than optimal but for now is acceptable until I can get it into an alignment shop. It will NOT shift right. It's a 3 spd column shift, it will engage 1st just fine..accelerate depress clutch go into neutral.... will not take 2nd and is still in 1st. come to a complete stop, will not go to 2nd until it goes to reverse first then will take 2nd. Where do I start troubleshooting? I'm assuming that the column needs rebuilt as I referenced in an earlier post. Are these the symptoms of a worn out column shifter?
Greg

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, 1st and reverse are connected, as is 2nd and 3rd. When in neutral, all the moving parts need to be centered. Have a helper go through the gears, engine off while you watch the column and side of the tranny. Good luck

Blue Bastard

Bronco Guru
Did you lift it? Bet it need a linkage adjustment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk