• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fixing some small holes in a Fiberglass tub

Darren

Loc.
Edmonton, AB.
Quick question for you fibreglass gurus out there... the fibreglass tub that I have has a few extra holes in the firewall and in the box from the PO. I would like to fill the holes and get the box looking a little better and the firewall less breezy. The holes in the bed are about 3/8” and the bed is about ¼” thick, the firewall holes are about 1” to 1-1/2” diameter.

Can I use 2 part “Gorilla glue” epoxy with a bit of fibreglass cloth or do I have to use fibreglass resin and hardener.

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Don't use gorilla glue. Either resin and cloth OR the best thing for patching I have found is Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive/Filler. It is sold in in cans is somewhat like a bondo and gel coat mixed together.

OP
OP
D

Darren

Loc.
Edmonton, AB.
Don't use gorilla glue. Either resin and cloth OR the best thing for patching I have found is Evercoat Vette Panel Adhesive/Filler. It is sold in in cans is somewhat like a bondo and gel coat mixed together.

Okay thanks, I was hoping the Gorilla glue epoxy would work just for the convenience of mixing small quantities one at a time. Next time I am in the city I will see if I can get a can of Evercoat. Thanks again

hyghlndr

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Hockessin, Delaware
Gorilla glue might seal the hole if you need a quick fix. I was thinking long term and a better fix. Just good old cheap bondo will do a nice job on fiberglass too.

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
For small cracks or holes (1/2" or less) I usually grind out the inner and outer surfaces with a nice 45 degree chamfer then use a product call kitty hair. It is like fiberglass and resin in a can you just add hardener to and apply like body filly. Do both sides, side the side you care about to look pretty.

For the bigger than 1/2" I would use fiberglass matt (not cloth) and resin with hardener. Same process - chamfer the edges to give your path something to stick to, cut the matt in small / then medium / then larger patches. Use a throw away paint brush and apply them. Do one side then the other. Sand the side you care about.

Any glues that are not for fiberglass will swell and look awful pretty quickly. The Evercoat panel adhesive is pretty good for small stuff too but has a definite max and it likes a backing to stick to. Shoot me any PM with question I have done a crazy amount of fiberglass work.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... MARK GOT MY THUNDER . I was going to say jUST Use the risen & a bit of matt. Mop it down & let it dry .
Grind off & Maybe add a 2nd coat with a 50c brush .. Kitty Hair is good but not for the top coats.

OP
OP
D

Darren

Loc.
Edmonton, AB.
Thanks guys, I will try that, just need to get to the city and buy some material.

I threw in a few pics of the firewall. Once I get them patched I will have to drill them and get a grommet for the wires.

Shoot me any PM with question I have done a crazy amount of fiberglass work.

Mark, you may regret the offer, the tub has some "issues" from the PO. ;)

Firewall%20001_zpshaju8vfg.jpg
[/URL[/IMG]

Firewall%20002_zpskrhcsjdw.jpg
[/URL[/IMG]