• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flares - Bushwackers or Gorillas

LowCountryEB

Loc.
Charleston, SC
Ok guys. It looks like it is down to the BroncoGraveyard "Bushwackers" or the Wildhorses "Gorillas". I either want them black from the manufacturer and/or will paint them black with stainless rivets. Which flares are the best for the money. I know the Gorillas are on sale now, but it the blemish that big of deal? Which ones should I go with???

giordano

Loc.
Victoria, BC
I haven't had any experience with the gorillas, but i've had the bushwackers on my eb for a couple years now and they're holding up great.

edge4

Contributor
Loc.
Gonzales, Texas
Do a search on Flares or Gorilla Warflares.
It was just on a recent thread.
The general consensus seems to be that the WH Gorilla Warflares are the best available today.

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Lowcountry wanted me to post this for him. Ask away LowCountry! :)
Bronco-1.jpg

Yellow75

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Sioux Falls, SD
Only problem I see with the warflares is that they are soo big, they wouldn't work well with a 77 body. Which I recently found I have. The fuel doors are too big. Would love to cut some more and use them though. That would make running 35's a breeze.

DoughBoy

Loc.
Hemet, CA
Bushwacker vs Gorilla Warflares

Having had both, I can offer you an unbiased opinion. The Bushwackers have better quality as far as finish and looks hands down. Having said that, I just bought a set of Gorillas with the blemish and sold my Bushwackers. The finish isnt as good on the non-blemished pair as the BW flares, and the "blemished" ones are more than just a "Milky finish stain" they say they are. Its more like acid or something dripped on them, as mine have pitting and material missing in addition to the discoloration, and the edges are trimmed for sh!t, guess they think the welting would do the coverup for them instead of makin the flare clean & right in the first place. Since mine is going to be more off-road oriented I'll take the more durable and flexible Gorilla and also the bigger cutout as a compromise. I believe they will stand up to more abuse due to the thickness and flexibility, but they wont win any awards for quality control or fit & finish.
What they (Wild Horses) also dont mention is the rear flare has a moulded ridge for the lower rear body line. They dont give you enough picture detail to see it on thir site, but its there, and if you do the "extreme" install you'll have a bulge to try & flatten with a hair dryer or heat gun & then try & screw down through the bulge to keep it against the body & unnoticable. The other gay thing is if you do the "extreme install" & have the top of the flare at the body line, the front flare bottoms will both reach to the bottom of the fender & rocker, but on the rear, only the back corner will reach to the bottom of the body, the front edge of the rear flare stops about the halfway point of the rocker panel... great if you have cut rockers, sucks for everyone else. This in my opinion is a major design oversight and screws up the look I was trying to achieve... a "finished" look.. and with only 3 edges moulded long enough, the front edge of the rear flare stopping halfway down the rocker is cheeseball. Well... looks like they got it 75% right. If you want the "standard" install, the Bushwackers look WAAAAAAAY better. If you want indestructable and more clearance and arent worried about how gay the one corner sets, go with the Gorillas. They could have put 15 minutes more thought into it and had a great product, but I guess "good" is good enough for them.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
The warflares are big.

By the way those are 35inch tires.

Attachments

• bronco side 9-03 small.jpg
    bronco side 9-03 small.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 272

DoughBoy

Loc.
Hemet, CA
I want to post a followup that Wild Horses offered me a full refund because of the issues I mentioned regarding the finish, and although I am already comitted due to the cutting, I appreciate the wilingness to stand behind thier product and take care of customer complaint. Its not often these days to see service like that and I appreciate them addressing it so quickly. I believe they will be as bulletproof as everyone says they are, and will work around the other issues to make them look right.

chris

No more Rock Crawler
2 inch body lift and a 5.5inch suspension.

Attachments

• broncos.jpg
    broncos.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 185

Awnrie69

Loc.
Salem, Or
I have the gorillas ... unfortunately before they went on sale..... I am extremely happy with mine and like the way they look. I got them so I could cut my bronco more... We did not have problems with the back flares buckling when we put them on. I have not done the front yet....