• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Flex fan to stock w/fan clutch!??

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Matt,
my 74 all stock motor did not come with a clutch fan maybe 76-77 might have I dont know. the fan you have looks like mine.
Are you running your tranny cooler before your radiator, after your radiator or divorced from the radiator.
I run my tranny cooler divorced from the radiator. my tranny never gets over 160 F
My motor I use a 180 thermostat and never goes over 190. It took a long time to get this rig to run cool. for over a year I couldnt get over Cajon pass at 220F It took alot of little things to make it work.
I run 4:11 gears on 33 inch tires.

1st OFF THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR INPUT AND HELP!

With that said the trans cooler runs in front of the radiator right b4 the hood latch.

Are you suggesting I relocate the trans cooler? Wow I'm good a turning wrenches but not sure where to relocate that puppy AND THEN HAVE TO RUN THE aluminum lines to the radiator!? Hmmm I "might" be talented enough to pull that off BUT WHY WOULD I DO THAT AND WHAT IMPROVEMENT WOULD I GAIN AS FAR AS TRAIL SPEEDS? Thanks!;>}

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
You got two different threads going dont you? Stick with one!;)

Dont matter what fan you have. At low RPM's there all gona push similar amounts of air. The clutch and flex fans only do there magic at high RPM's, and that is less air. Your looking all over for different fan options but im not sure thats the ticket??

How far in your shroud is your fan. my dad is a engineer for cummins (onan) and designs gensets. He said alot of math goes into radiator, fan, and fan shroud design. Id have to ask him again but i think you want your fan half way inside the shroud or it will pull air around the shroud instead through it. You using the stock shroud i take it.

Also how often is it overheating? Is the weather really hot there like it is here? Maybe there is no fix?

You have to look into things deeper than a new fan. On your other thread i suggested a water mister. Probably not a permanent fix but it might be a possibility to help control heat for now.

I think you said you have a new radiator but how well is that flowing? Have you tested that? maybe the radiator is a cheep junker???

http://www.haydenauto.com/New Products-Radiator Mist System/Content.aspx

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
Thanks Guys....I am going to reassemble it today.

I will hit up a radiator shop than can diagnose the issue.

....Maybe I need to move my trans cooler and install an electric fan?
......Maybe I need a 4 row radiator.
........OR I can wait for winter!;D
............We shall see! ;>)

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
One more thing

Here is a pic of the new radiator I installed in October. Notice it has a trans cooler in the radiator.

Here is a pic of the trans cooler that was on the truck when I purchased it almost 15 years ago.

Do I need both "trans coolers" the one in the Radiator AND the oned before the radiator?

I'm wondering "A) could there be a clog in the trans cooler? B) if I can eliminate the added trans cooler that is b4 the radiator THEN I can add and electric fan in it's place?

What do you think? Do I need BOTH trans coolers.... I have always wondered about the one in front of the radiator!

I am not sure just how to eliminate this problem.....hmmmmm?

Attachments

• NEW Radiator.jpg
    NEW Radiator.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 40 year old trans cooler.jpg
    40 year old trans cooler.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 20

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Might not hurt to try a ridgid fan. Who cares about noise a little noise is better than a overheated engine. but I think your issue is elsewhere. Could be a tuning issue, also some people have had those high flow water pumps cause the engine to run hotter than normal probably more true on a engine that is reved up at slow speed.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
In looking at your pictures your tranny cooler is not big enough to cool the tranny alone. so I would suggest you leave it where it is and plumb the tranny line from the front port of the tranny to the cooler then to the radiator bottom port tranny cooler and then out to the rear port on the tranny. this is to help cool the tranny fluid before going into the radiator sending less heat into the cooling system. Normally here in southern California I would just bypass the radiator completely.
I would take out the fan clutch and use a solid spacer.
This is a picture of my tranny cooler the large one and my powersteering cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/...ford Bronco/?action=view&current=DCP01785.jpg

OP
OP
matt w

matt w

Bronco Guru
In looking at your pictures your tranny cooler is not big enough to cool the tranny alone. so I would suggest you leave it where it is and plumb the tranny line from the front port of the tranny to the cooler then to the radiator bottom port tranny cooler and then out to the rear port on the tranny. this is to help cool the tranny fluid before going into the radiator sending less heat into the cooling system. Normally here in southern California I would just bypass the radiator completely.
I would take out the fan clutch and use a solid spacer.
This is a picture of my tranny cooler the large one and my powersteering cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

http://s654.photobucket.com/albums/...ford Bronco/?action=view&current=DCP01785.jpg

Thanks...the Trans cooler was what it is when I got the truck almost 15 years ago AND it was always plumbed into the radiator as well. The truck NEVER had a fan clutch. I put it all back to normal and shall see what happens next. Thanks to all for the input and help at this point.