• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor board installation

V75bronco

Like in most ford bronco, the front floor boards have a tendency to always rust out. We've finally found time to replace them and we have new floor pans being molded, I know that their is two ethos on putting the new floor boards in whether you weld or glue in the new floor board. which is the best ways to install these new floor boards.

Torkman66

Contributor
Weld them. They are part of the support that connects the back half to the front half of the Bronco (mainly the rockers do this but the floors are also part of it). If you go topless it is even more important to have very solid floor and rocker structure. What do you mean "being molded"?

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
Weld them. They are part of the support that connects the back half to the front half of the Bronco (mainly the rockers do this but the floors are also part of it). If you go topless it is even more important to have very solid floor and rocker structure. What do you mean "being molded"?
Yeah I was wondering about that BEING MOULDED statement as well,, also you may find rust in adjacent panels supports that may dictate direction of repair ,, weld them in would be my choice as well...

OP
OP
V75bronco

V75bronco

What do you mean "being molded"?

That was just a typo, It was actually supposed to say made.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I didn’t have a working welder at the time, so when I did, the floor pans in my 71 I “glued and screwed“ them. Not really screwed though, since I used pop rivets.
Cut the old floor out with enough clean, rust free lip remaining, was able to retain all the original floor supports.
Used the silicone sealer, which does double duty as a sealer and a glue, drilled and riveted everything in place.
Plenty of topless miles. And most of these years now with only a soft top anyway.
Tight as a drum for more than 15 years as a daily driver and still tight and rust free going on 30.

Last edited:

jonesallu

Contributor
BigAl
Loc.
Brookings, SD
I didn’t have a working welder at the time, so when I did, the floor pans in my 71 by “glued and screwed“ them. Not really screwed though, since I used pop rivets.
My Dad used this to his same method to his Bronco around 1990, but he used aluminum. By golly, it's held up pretty damn good. It's getting a little loose where the aluminum has stretched around the holes, but I'm impressed. Not bad for 30+ years.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
My Dad used this to his same method to his Bronco around 1990, but he used aluminum. By golly, it's held up pretty damn good. It's getting a little loose where the aluminum has stretched around the holes, but I'm impressed. Not bad for 30+ years.

definitely worth the effort, time it took for it