• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Floor Matting & carpet Vs. just liner, like Rhino, Linex...etc.

97XEB

Curious to know how many people run with a floor liner, like Rhino, Linex, Durabak, etc. Vs. installing matting, like Dynamat, and a carpet kit. My PO Rhino'd the entire inside of the tub, which is geat, but even with a 2" BL, I still get a ton of noise and heat through the firewall and floor.

If I go with matting, it will probably be the adhesive Dynamat, with a Bronco house carpet kit over top. The only reason I haven't done it already is because I'm a little concerned about giving the carpert and Dynamat repeated good soakings, mud and dust coverings when I go off roading... which is primarily how I plan to use the rig - but I still want it to be comfortable to drive and for my passengers, which include my wife and two little kids. Will the Dynamatting and carpet hold moisture and start to stink and rust out my floors? Do they dry out relativel quick? In all reality though, it will probably not be that often that the inside gets totally soaked or muddy, as opposed to dealing with too much heat and noise every single time I drive her...

What are most of you running??

amc78cj7

Loc.
Ann Arbor, MI
I have a 2007 Jeep 4 door that is less than a year old and the carpet is already in storage in my basement. Carpet has no place in a Jeep or EB for that matter unless it is a show vehicle. My last Jeep had Herculiner and this one will too soon. Herculiner will oxidize / fade though so what I did was once the Herculiner got tacky I applied a tan marine topcoat with a sponge. This gave it color, minimized the oxidized appearance and made the mud and dirt blend in so I wasn't always scrubbing to keep a clean look. Pictures are below (don't be a Jeep hater). BTW, the new jeep is a daily driver and I haven't been bothered yet by no carpet or liner. The doors and top are always off so I can't hear anything anyway.

December2007Jeepandfamily061.jpg

Last edited:

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I still have not sealed up every orifice of the floor and I am not running any windows in my doors yet. I do however have a full Line-X application underneath, inside, wheel wells, engine compartment, etc. I made my first road trip this past weekend ~600 miles RT. Even with no boot over the 5 speed, no windows in the doors, and running safari, I can have a conversation in the truck at highway speeds. Its much quieter than before. Some of that is also due to my exhaust.... Heatwise, I never noticed any addtional heat. The floorboards used to get quite hot however...but so much has changed (drivetrain, cooling system, amount of BL) that its hard to say that its just due to the Line-X. My suggestion is skip the dynomat, go with the Line-X and if you still want a little more noise reduction and comfort, get the carpet kit...it will still install on top of the liner. This way if it does get wet, nasty, etc. pull out the carpet and pressure wash it all, let it dry and you are good to go. Carpet kits scare me, Ive seen lots of nice Broncos whose cancer was accelerated greatly by carpet kits...with the liner, the water will not be able to access the steel as it can/does with a painted floor.

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I did a DIY bedliner on my floors, with the intent of using an insulation with carpet on top. I've got the carpet, but I haven't put it in yet, because when it rains real hard, I still get some dribbles inside. so until I can find my leaks, the carpet's not going in.
carpet will most definitely keep water from evaporating quickly if it gets wet, so that's always something to worry about. but mine doesn't see a lot of mud...so I still want to risk it, just to make it more "civilized" and try to keep the harmonics of the sheetmetal down to a minimum.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Line X here, pretty good IMO.. Lots of folks to the DIY stuff.. should work good....

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
I used Herculiner and sprayed it in with a undercoating gun. Im really pleased with the way it turned out. I originally rolled it on my tailgate, and didnt like it all that much and was going to go with a different product, but I already had all the material so i thought id try shooting it and am pleased, would shoot it in the back of my Superduty as well.

herculinerfinishedjp8.jpg

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I am going carpet. For a trail rig, I would go without it. Mine will be mostly street driven and the occasional light trail or beach.

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
Line-X in mine. I thought about carpet, or even a mat. But mine leaks so badly that it would just keep the water between the carpet and the floor.

handsomerob

Loc.
las cruces
line-x all the way!! i just got my 71 sprayed. the whole inside, over the bedrail, door jams, and rocker pannels. when I take off the doors it looks like it is made that way!

charvey9

Loc.
Beaverton, OR
I guess it would depend on what you'd like to use the Bronco for. If it is a nice daily driver, the dynamat and carpet will really cut down on the road noise and makes a more plesant ride down the highway. It also better for keeping the heat in if you live in a cold climate. On the other hand, if its primarily a wheeling rig where you like to throw all your tools, camping gear, and dog in the back (like me) a bedliner material is much more practical.

Linex is about the best spray on liner you can get and comes with a lifetime limited warantee, but its rather pricey and will cost $600-$750 to do your entire Bronco tub. I believe if you every drill or cut holes into the bed liner after it has been sprayed it will void the warantee. I had the bed in my 07 pick-up sprayed and it looks great.

However, I ended up throwing down 4 coats of Herculiner on my Bronco tub and I'm really happy with the results considering it only cost me $150 and I was able to do it myself in one afternoon with a brush and roller. It will also be very easy and cheap to reapply and/or touch up in the future if needed.

sorry I don't have pics on my work computer, so I had to steal one off my profile on broncograveyard.com.

Attachments

• image_4766f.jpg
    image_4766f.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 168

Baja71

Bronco Guru
The absolute worst thing you can do is put some type of carpet or rubber mat over absorbent, insulated matting on your metal floorboards. It keeps water/moisture trapped for weeks at a time.

oldskooldropout

Loc.
Frederick, MD
Raptor Liner off of ebay... pretty darn tough

Question: Fireman - How many bottles did you have to use for your rig? Did you do the front also? It is a pretty good price on ebay that comes with the Gun attachment for spraying and 1 Gal of liner. How thick did it go on? Sorry bout all the questions. ;D

ugly74

Bronco abuser
I heard of guys using tar roof shingles on their floors as sound deadener. supposedly, it works really well. I've thought about using that, instead of a porous type of mat that would retain moisture

6daze

I used rhino back in the day, overall I am happy with it but it will fade over time. The bronco is in the garage most of the time so I am not too worried. Not sure on how well Line-x does in the sun.

It is great for the hose out after trail rides. Park on a slight incline and hose her down! I would not do carpet again unless it is strictly a street driver with a hard top.

A couple of floor mats will help with heat/ sound over the line-x.

BTW if you are thinking about a body lift, do it now while you can get to those bolt heads. The lining makes it a little difficult!

Mark

73AnneBoleyn

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Charlotte, NC
Line-X in mine. I thought about carpet, or even a mat. But mine leaks so badly that it would just keep the water between the carpet and the floor.

exactly. it depends on:
1. what are you going to use your rig for?
2. how leaky is it?

because mine is going to be for the trails and leaks like a sieve, it's bedliner for me! ;D

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I used rhino back in the day, overall I am happy with it but it will fade over time. The bronco is in the garage most of the time so I am not too worried. Not sure on how well Line-x does in the sun.

It is great for the hose out after trail rides. Park on a slight incline and hose her down! I would not do carpet again unless it is strictly a street driver with a hard top.

A couple of floor mats will help with heat/ sound over the line-x.

BTW if you are thinking about a body lift, do it now while you can get to those bolt heads. The lining makes it a little difficult!

Mark

Or you remove all of the bolts before its lined. Prep, prep, prep.

PS

Loc.
Sebastopol, CA
...I still get a ton of noise and heat through the firewall and floor...

...but I still want it to be comfortable to drive and for my passengers, which include my wife and two little kids... In all reality though, it will probably not be that often that the inside gets totally soaked or muddy, as opposed to dealing with too much heat and noise every single time I drive her...

What are most of you running??

The entire tub on my Bronco is Line-X'ed and that helped with noise, but not enough. I installed a sound deadener carpet underlayment without any glue or other stickum. Then a generic carpet kit over the top. (Note to self: never again install black carpet as long as you have a white Lab/Aussie and a white Border Collie that like to go.) I'm not too worried about water because of the LineX and the fact that I have almost completely eliminated leaks. I might be able to dig up the info on the underlayment if you're interested.

I didn't like the idea of DynaMat on the floor and I wasn't sure how much it would have helped anyway. I did install B-Quiet (a superior and less expensive type of DynaMat) on the inside of my doors, on the backside of the door panels and two layers on the ceiling.

All this sound deadening stuff is really a double edged sword because now I can hear the squeaks that are slowly driving me crazy.