• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Folding Down the Windshield

c130puke

Loc.
Iowa City, IA
I plan to fold my windshield down this summer (I just bought it a few months ago) for the full bugs-in-my-teeth experience. My dilemma, I don't want to mess up my hood any more than it already is - so what do I do? My old VW Thing had a windshield cover - do EBs? Is there something I could mount on the hood to 'latch' the windshield down? I have no owners manual, so I am w/out a clue.

71pony

Loc.
SLC Utah
All the experiance I have had with folding down my windshield is trouble, So i advise not to do it, unless ther is a way that does not crush the hood

thesnake

Bronco Guru
Spend big bucks with LMC for their repo windshield frame/hood latch or watch ebay for an original, or come up with your own modified latching mech.<br><br>snake

OP
OP
C

c130puke

Loc.
Iowa City, IA
[quote author=DesertRat302 link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#92965 date=1040331108]<br>Tom's has the windshield latches for $85.WAY cheaper than LMC.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thanks for the super fast response, but remember as a 'newbie' I'm not familar w/ the jargon the way you old pros are. Tom's? LMC? I'll Google these, but do not know what they are up front. Thanks again though.

rulebreaker

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Manton MI
[quote author=c130puke link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#92933 date=1040328960]<br>I plan to fold my windshield down this summer (I just bought it a few months ago) for the full bugs-in-my-teeth experience. My dilemma, I don't want to mess up my hood any more than it already is - so what do I do? My old VW Thing had a windshield cover - do EBs? Is there something I could mount on the hood to 'latch' the windshield down? I have no owners manual, so I am w/out a clue.<br>[/quote]Are you X military? Fly c130's?

howiebilt

Bronco Buddah
Loc.
Newton
[quote author=edjolly link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#93114 date=1040358154]<br>what about the wiper setup? Do you just remove the whole assembly?<br><br>Ed<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Huh ?:? it folds down with the windshield .Or maybe I just am misunderstanding :-U<br> <br> C130puke ...welcome .... when you comin' over to wheel with me 8)<br><br> Spend the bucks and get a latch from one of the vendors already mentioned , you'll be glad you did . I prefer not to eat the bugs and I have the back of my hood raised to reduce underhood temps ... so the WS isn't going down ;)

Hnrys69

Bronco Guru
Folding the windsheild down isnt as cool as it seems, for me at least. All mine did was chip the paint on it and made it harder to see over. So becareful when folding it down as it breaks off all paint on the joint....

edjolly

Loc.
Denver Colorado
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#93120 date=1040359690]<br>[quote author=edjolly link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#93114 date=1040358154]<br>what about the wiper setup? Do you just remove the whole assembly?<br><br>Ed<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>Huh ?:? it folds down with the windshield .Or maybe I just am misunderstanding :-U<br> <br> well, yeah, I know THAT, but it's big and unsightly and would surely look stupid laying halfway out on the hood. It's also a considerable weight which I would think might warp the hood.<br><br>Ed<br>[/quote]

OP
OP
C

c130puke

Loc.
Iowa City, IA
[quote author=rulebreaker link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#93018 date=1040338640]<br>[quote author=c130puke link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#92933 date=1040328960]<br>I plan to fold my windshield down this summer (I just bought it a few months ago) for the full bugs-in-my-teeth experience. My dilemma, I don't want to mess up my hood any more than it already is - so what do I do? My old VW Thing had a windshield cover - do EBs? Is there something I could mount on the hood to 'latch' the windshield down? I have no owners manual, so I am w/out a clue.<br>[/quote]Are you X military? Fly c130's?<br>[/quote]<br><br>you're close. not x military, but current. unfortunately the x part is flying 130s. i'm an afrotc instructor at uiowa.

Waverous

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Aurora, CO
What about the doors? I think it would look strange to have the top off, windshield down, and door frames in place.

OP
OP
C

c130puke

Loc.
Iowa City, IA
[quote author=howiebilt link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#93120 date=1040359690]
[quote author=edjolly link=board=5;threadid=12481;start=0#93114 date=1040358154]
what about the wiper setup? Do you just remove the whole assembly?

Ed

[/quote]

Huh ?:? it folds down with the windshield .Or maybe I just am misunderstanding :-U

C130puke ...welcome .... when you comin' over to wheel with me 8)

Spend the bucks and get a latch from one of the vendors already mentioned , you'll be glad you did . I prefer not to eat the bugs and I have the back of my hood raised to reduce underhood temps ... so the WS isn't going down ;)
[/quote]

thanks for the invite. i'll have to consider the 4 wheeling aspect of this new (to me anyway) vehicle. I hope not to be killed, or worse - banished, for this blasphemy, but I bought my EB not to go 4 wheeling but because it is a man's convertible. (I'm ducking and covering) Can not fathom a Miata or Samuri and can't afford the Euro stuff. I wonder if there are others out there, probably smart enough to stay in the closet, like me. Any one willing to admit? I also like to sit up high, but I'm sick of scrunching to see the stop lights. I'm planning a complete interior redo. thanks again, bruce