• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Font Axle Yoke Bent

lgdpt

I have a Dana 44 the Passenger axle yoke is bent and needs to be replaced. Is it possible to just get the stub axle (shorter end) or do I need to replace the whole thing?

I think I just saw the vendors sell them... Mine has has 19 splines. Is that the standard one or do I have an anomaly? Thank you!

Broncobowsher

Total hack
You can get just the parts you need. Sounds like you are taking the outer axle (U-joint to lockout) and not the inner axle (U-joint to differential). The outers are the same left and right. The 19 spline where it connects to the lockout sounds correct. 30 spline is where it goes into the differential.

Why is it bent? The two common reasons are the U-joint broke under load and the slamming of parts together bent the ears. That would be a twisting bend. There is also a spreading (or pinching) bend from pressing (or beating) the U-joint in and out.

If you inspect further and find both inner and outer are damaged any of the bronco vendors sell an upgraded axle that uses a larger U-joint. The sky is the limit on front axle upgrades but stock axles with the larger U-joints are about the same price as the small U-joint axles. The bigger U-joint is stock on ½ trucks and full size Broncos. It is just an upgrade to stock full size parts instead of the tiny undersized U-joints that were stock Bronco.

OP
OP
lgdpt

lgdpt

Thank you! I ordered one from Wild Horses.

It was a brand new axle. My bronco hasnt even been on the road yet. No clue why it was bent but we couldnt get the snap ring on and its obvious upon removal.

Thank you for the advice... Its fixed now!