• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

$ for cutting axles down

PABrian

Loc.
North central PA
like the title says, how much $ (approx.) for cutting down a hi pinion 44 front to fit the EB? also, maybe a 10.25? i can get both for pretty cheap and was wondering. tia

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Most people avoid the cost and just install them full width.

I think its usually around $80+ shipping to get a long side D44 axle shaft cut down and resplined. Unless you have a local shop that can do it then you might get it done cheaper. As for the housing well thats going to depend on what shop you take it to and how much they charge for labor. It cost about $200 to get a D44 shortened by Currie enterprise. But thats all they do so they know exactly what they are doing and are setup for it. but I wouldnt think it would be much more than that. as for the 10.25 well its probably a little more involved shorten both sides and both axle shafts.

VT_Don

Shortening & resplining axles may be done, but it's poor practice. Automotive axle splines are typically induction hardened. Once lathe turned to shorten, the surface hardness is removed. Unless rehardened, service life is poor at best. Last I knew, Currie had no ability to reverse engineer to generate proper pitch, pressure angle and circular tooth thickness for involute splines. They may be able to cut what passes as "teeth" but I'm not a customer.

OP
OP
P

PABrian

Loc.
North central PA
as far as the front, wouldn't i be able to use stock length replacement axles once the housing is cut to the proper length?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes you could use stock lenght axles for the front. Just saying a lot of people do get the long side axle shortened and resplined as its cheaper than a replacement. but that rear 10.25 is going to be the PITA either have to cut down what you have or buy custom. And Don's correct about the resplining of axles and rehardening very few companies can actually do it correctly. I dont know if Currie does axle shafts I know they do housings. I think its Moser that does axle shafts. I have Currie axle shafts but have no idea if they are actually of there own makings. Most likely not.

svobronco

I've done exactly what you want to do. '79 HP D44, both tubes cut and shortened, but I went a little off track when I had the diff moved as far as it would go to the left. It gave more clearance from the oil pan and made the front driveshaft run a little straighter. I paid $195 to have the work done back in '02.

If you have factory shafts cut and resplined, it won't be the splines that fail first so don't even worry about it. You're using a 30+ year old part that doesn't have the metalurgy of aftermarket shafts. I run full circle clips and 760X joints and have broken about 4 shafts (all long side). It looks like all occurred due to the ears on the stub shaft or the axle spreading. I'm finally out of spare shafts, so the next set I get are going to be custom NEW shafts. But, if you're not going to wheel too hard and/or run 38's and a locker, resplines will hold up just fine.

As far as the rear goes....no clue here.

One thing a lot guys who don't live in the Northeast don't realize is that full width axles are very limiting on a lot of trails. If you want to just play on the rocks they're fine, but get on a tight trail that was created 50yrs ago by MB Heeps and you ain't going there. I've had problems with stock width axles and 16" wide swampers.

Greg