• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

For Real?

Dave K.

I was really surprised by this article and who would pay this kind of money:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/07/05/gateway-broncos-bringing-american-classic-back-to-life/

"The Survivors, which go for $120,000, get a frame-off restoration but keep their original paint, patina and rust (if there’s any) by way of a special preservation process. Gateway installs a brand new Ford Coyote 302 V8 drivetrain, a set of Wilwood disc brakes and leather upholstery, but otherwise these Broncos look like the relics they are."

I'm sure the work is good but I'm just puzzled how you justify $120K when, say, you buy a really nice original for say 40K, new drivetrain, perk things up and such but leave body and paint original. Is there really 80K in additional value there? Seems like darn good margin. I just don't know where all the buyers are for all of these mega-buck Broncos from this company and others.

It reminds me of Legacy as well. I've heard many stories about folks paying over $200K for a pumped up Power Wagon and losing their shirt when they try to sell. Depreciation is bad for these from what I've seen.

Anyway, more power to him if he can actually find the buyers here but my guess a lot fly overseas if anywhere.

delconick

the guy is killing me...... butchering nice survivors. I told him in person that I would sell him a frame and all new sheet metal and to just patina the paint! there is only so many "survivors" out there so his business model is flawed anyway......

p.s. hold on to your all original rigs!!!! they are going up in value as we speak with guys like this out there!

OP
OP
D

Dave K.

There are so many slicks in the car hobby these days it makes me sick to watch TV sometimes--and read articles now as well! Yeesh, what next? 75K Pintos?

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Man...the 68 I just bought would pay off my house and student loans if I put leather seats, powder coated the frame, add a coyote, and new suspension/steering in it.....tempting lol

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I thought there would be more discussion after his big splash at Carlisle.

Todd Z.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Tons of advertising. Vehicles on display. Paid for Big Oly to be there. Might have given a talk or two to attendees (don't know that for sure since I haven't received my debrief yet :)).

Todd Z.

rydog1130

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Tons of advertising. Vehicles on display. Paid for Big Oly to be there. Might have given a talk or two to attendees (don't know that for sure since I haven't received my debrief yet :)).

Todd Z.

Made it to fox news...must of paid off

Wyflyer

Bronco Guru
Trying to reinvent himself and create a brand of his own. My stock 69 is now worth 45k!

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
This bubble scares me. I have a 77 in the shop now that the more I tore into it the more I saw it was just a quick flip with substandard repair. I would have loved to have had it prior to the PO's attempt to repair and flip... Part of this is why I am in business but it worries me for my customers as well as future owners. The urge to "ride the bubble" is leading to some really bad craftsmanship from those looking to make a quick buck and taking advantage of those with good intentions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

delconick

ILL GET TO THE SPLASH HE MAID AT CARLISLE. READ ON.

I talked to him at spring Carlisle then again at ford...... he is just doing his thing.

I guess if you think about it its a cool idea..... rat rods are cool, its the same deal...... take a patina'd truck and make it reliable / drivable. I agreed with him a little. the problem lies WITH THE FACT THAT HE IS BASICALLY KILLING HISTORY! an original survivor took how many years to create? they are not re-growing! you cant just make more!!!! he is not doing the hobby any favors at all.

SO HERE IS THE SPLASH!!!

he called a meeting with the Shelby club of America to tell them that broncos are his "gateway", next on the chopping block........ wait for it........... drum roll........ SHELBYS!!!!!!!!!!! (ALL OF THE NEXT WORDS THAT I WOULD HAVE TYPED HERE HAD TO BE EDITED OUT)

ok, so I'm a bronco guy but if you gave me a choice between a stroppe or a 67 gt500 no sane man in the world would take the bronco! needless to say to heck with the broncos HE IS COMPLETELY OFF HIS ROCKER BUTCHERING A BARN FIND SHELBY. WHAT IS THERE? A DOZEN OF THEM TO DO IT TO?????? NOW THAT IS A SHITTY BUISNESS PLAN!

in short. do anything you want to a rusty or a scratch built vehicle. leave the all original ones alone!!

ive spoken my peace...... if anyone cares lol

eaglenest66

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I too agree with the majority here and that perfect survivors are having their hearts ripped out and whore'd for bigger money by adding creature comforts for newbies! What was a poor man's hobby in the auto world is now becoming the "Hollywood" collection! What happened to restoring a junk yard dog to perfection for a genuine collector?

JGbronc

Bronco Maniac
I too agree with the majority here and that perfect survivors are having their hearts ripped out and whore'd for bigger money by adding creature comforts for newbies! What was a poor man's hobby in the auto world is now becoming the "Hollywood" collection! What happened to restoring a junk yard dog to perfection for a genuine collector?

^ My thoughts exactly, Tim.

I was at Carlisle also. I'll give the guy credit, he had a very impressive display set up, sponsored the burnout contest, and made it possible for Big Oly to be there. He had a big balloon flying in the air with "Gateway Broncos" on it, blah blah blah.

That's all great and fine, but I can see past it all. Not to sound rude but this is just another guy who pops up out of nowhere to make a killing on our beloved trucks. This seems to be happening a LOT lately. The difference here is that he has spent a fortune on advertising and publicity. I'm still not a fan.

As for the parting out comment, if Broncos were never parted out how many would still be on the road today? Nick is in the northeast part of the country where Broncos are prone to extreme rust. In many cases it is more logical to salvage what you can to use on another project. Some will say all can be fixed, and while there is some truth to that, who wants to pay $40k to have a $25-30k ride? If someone does want to tackle that, good for you!

Don't get me wrong, I'm fully against parting out a Bronco that needs minimal repair. But like I said, rust in the salty road states is extreme. Its very hard to source a good project up there. I'm more fortunate in my finds, but I still find rust buckets on the regular.

TheGanzman

Loc.
San Clemente
In the words of Warren Oates in "Stripes": "Lighten up, Frances!"

Geez - You'd think we were talking about carousel pony turds here - Ford made a BLUE MILLION of these things, f'er Chrissakes! Here in SoCal, I can't back out of the driveway without seeing another early Bronco! You guys that have YOUR "all original Broncos" - he's not coming to YOUR house in the middle of the night to steal it away from you and "artificially patina" it or resto-mod it! There's PLENTY of room in this hobby for EVER'BODY!

Having said that, do *I* agree or like what he's doing? Not particularly; not MY style - but then neither would MY '69 Bronco be "your style" either, at least 99% of you on here. Yet I still manage to sleep all night without feeling the slightest tinge of guilt at having put vintage Scheel-Mann seats, 4 wheel power disc brakes, FJ40 mirrors, and aftermarket gauges in MY Bronco. I was THE first guy on Planet Earth to put a late model suspension underneath a 1962 Corvette back in the '80's; now you can't swing a dead cat without seeing a resto-modded straight axle 'Vette. Did it "kill" the early Corvette hobby? Uh - no; still PLENTY of all-stock straight axle Corvettes around - a car that Chevrolet made FAR less of than Ford's Bronco...

As far as his claim of doing the same thing with Shelby Mustangs - I SERIOUSLY doubt that will happen; there's just not enough of those around in "barn find" condition, and even THOSE bring big $'s. Is he gonna take a $175K Shelby 500KR and "patina" it? C'mon guys - there's NO $ future in THAT - that would be throwing $ to the Four Winds...

Let him do his thang - as they say in Hollyweird: "There's no such thing as BAD publicity!" It's only gonna make ALL of OUR Broncos worth more!

Caffeine-induced rant off; flame away, Gents!

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Let him do his thang - as they say in Hollyweird: "There's no such thing as BAD publicity!" It's only gonna make ALL of OUR Broncos worth more!

Caffeine-induced rant off; flame away, Gents!

LOL, you can't stop folks from doing what they want anyway :-X

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Yet I still manage to sleep all night without feeling the slightest tinge of guilt at having put vintage Scheel-Mann seats, 4 wheel power disc brakes, FJ40 mirrors, and aftermarket gauges in MY Bronco.

Would love to see pics of the seats!

Todd Z.