• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford 223 swap in Early Bronco?

Aariley5

Hello,
I’ve been reading these forums for a few years getting ideas for my bronco. This is my first post. I’ve been searching around trying to find info on this because I have seen a couple ford 223 motors for sale near me. But I can’t find any info on on whether or not anyone has done it. Has anyone swapped one of these into a bronco? If so how did it go?

Thanks,
Aaron

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You can get same horsepower out of much newer 200 version.

Does or would a 223 even bolt to anything in an EB? Its a 50's era motor.

OP
OP
A

Aariley5

Can you? And I’m not sure whether the 223 can be done or not. Just curious if anyone else knew.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Can you? And I’m not sure whether the 223 can be done or not. Just curious if anyone else knew.

The bigger question is why? Personally I'd leave those engines to people who need them for period correctness.

That said, I'm sure someone could make it work, but I haven't heard about anyone bothering to try. :)

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I've seen one done. It was a ranch truck. With the right bellhousing it did bolt right to the existing 3-speed and column shift. But everything else is wrong. The fan position is horribly high. The engine is really tall. Forget the air cleaner through the hood, this is the valve cover through the hood. Super poor choice.

When I saw it I knew what engine it was. I owned an F100 with that same engine. It was not a good engine. They have valve train design issues. It was simply an engine that existed but nobody really wanted. Hard to find parts for it. At one time I paid $50 for another engine just to get a replacement rocker shaft that wasn't as bad as the one I had. I was glad when that truck and the engine went away.

blubuckaroo

Grease Monkey
Loc.
Ridgefield WA
It's a truck engine. A moose! Not to be confused with the smaller 144/170//200/250 car variety that came along later.
If you want a better challenge, use one of the 240/300 series engines. They have amazing low end torque, and longevity. Also very long and tall. I've seen several on this site.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I have a 223 in my 56 F100.
IMO it would not me a good engine for a Bronco.
Only has 3 mains
Solid lifter
Single barrel carb, Holey 1904
Not much power
Almost no aftermarket support

You probably found a few for sale, cheep for a reason
No one wants them
Unless as said before, for a period correct install

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I HELPED An old homeless friend get his 223 running back years ago when I had my parts store.
.. It kept blowing Rod Bearings & Spun a main ..
... Sure not the motor I'd waist my time on again.
... Now while the old 300cid IS My favorite motor of all time. It's big. & really to large for our little Broncos. If you got to have a 6cyl. I'd try the 250cid if I could find one.
... GOOD LUCK & kEEP ASKING QUESTIONS .. 99% OF US DON'T BITE.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al
The 223 was a V-8 engine Ford built for only a couple of years and I think they were working on a new design to replace the old Y block 292 but the 223 only produced about 110 or 120 HP.It is about the same height and width as a 302 engine but it used a 5 bolt bell housing the same as a 260 V-8 did.But it will fit in a Bronco but why would you use such a low horsepower engine when about everything that came stock in a Bronco was higher HP and you can find 6 bolt bell housings pretty easy.A Bronco transmission will fit both the 5 bolt bell housing and the 6 bolt which will be stock.Ford also used the 260 V-8 for a couple of years in their smaller body cars like the Fairlane after the 223 engine.Ford finally dropped both of these engines about 1965 when they finally came up with a 289.I think Ford put a 260 in a falcon and called it a sport and it was a pretty fast car since it was so light.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The 223 was a V-8 engine Ford built for only a couple of years and I think they were working on a new design to replace the old Y block 292 but the 223 only produced about 110 or 120 HP.It is about the same height and width as a 302 engine but it used a 5 bolt bell housing the same as a 260 V-8 did.But it will fit in a Bronco but why would you use such a low horsepower engine when about everything that came stock in a Bronco was higher HP and you can find 6 bolt bell housings pretty easy.A Bronco transmission will fit both the 5 bolt bell housing and the 6 bolt which will be stock.Ford also used the 260 V-8 for a couple of years in their smaller body cars like the Fairlane after the 223 engine.Ford finally dropped both of these engines about 1965 when they finally came up with a 289.I think Ford put a 260 in a falcon and called it a sport and it was a pretty fast car since it was so light.

You are talking about the 221 V8. The 223 six is the first OHV straight 6. Loosely based based on the Y block.

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
yES I'm with Bronco bowsher . Sky is talking about 221v8. It was just a small 289.
But that old 223cid was in late 50 & early 60 pickups.

Skytrooper15

Loc.
Tuscaloosa,Al

Well that's why they call it CRS,why I missed that one by two cylinders and two cubic inches.....