• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford buggy build pics

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
Ok, I've been asking a lot of weird questions and people have been asking what I'm building... so here are pics...

Motorcity machines comp chassis (bought used, bare)
1989 Thunderbird supercoupe supercharged 3.8L motor
EB C4 / D20
Clocking ring made my KOZ 4WD
AA 32 spline output
HP D60 front
Sterling 10.25 rear
39.5 boggers
H1 rims
full hydro high-steer
Fox 14" shocks front
Fox 12" shocks rear

Custom Supercharger top

The rear still has to settle about 1-2" lower

IMG_1993.jpg

IMG_1991.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

knack

Contributor
Nice work! Great looking rig! Get those cinderblocks out of there before something bad happens!

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
Nice work! Great looking rig! Get those cinderblocks out of there before something bad happens!

cinderblocks are extrememly strong under compression if you stack them in the right orientation (flat sides out, holes vertical).

Problem is, everyone uses them with flat sides on the ground and facing up, holes horizontal...

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
Nice job looks like a lot of fun! So with those shocks do you not need coilovers?

nope, pressure controlled via nitrogen, linear spring rates controlled via internal shims and oil settings.

Downside of air shocks are heat control... for baja and rock racing you will see coilovers so help limit heat buildup. For trails, rock crawling and even on-road use, air shocks are fine

68 Broncoholic

Bronco Guru
Loc.
WA
Nice rig my man! Don't sweat the blocks, we all use them when we have to.
verticle like you're using them is fine for most strength. When will she be hitting the trails?

ChrisinWV

Bronco Guru
Loc.
St George Island, MD
With 42's I don't think your body is gonna be exactly full MRW!
Buggy looks great! I love the simplicity of the airshocks just look at all the saved real estate!!!!
Should be lots of fun, I'd hang the eb front on it if it were me, but the SD might look cool on a buggy. Nice work!

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
Very nice.. I like it..

One word of caution, I have been told if you plan to get ANY air time the air shocks won't handle it, they will blow out. Buddy of mine was planning to use them until he found that out... Though I guess you could use limiting straps.. or just don't jump it :) :)

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
Very nice.. I like it..

One word of caution, I have been told if you plan to get ANY air time the air shocks won't handle it, they will blow out. Buddy of mine was planning to use them until he found that out... Though I guess you could use limiting straps.. or just don't jump it :) :)

You mean like these guys? These are 2 members from our club at the Silver Lake Sand dunes... the shocks will hold ;D

1519_196.jpg

and yes, I will be running limiting straps

BigFord74

Loc.
Nixa,Mo
Just for the record there is a difference between jumpin dune's and jumping and landing in rocks/solid ground. Sweet pic tho.

brian72

Early Bronco Student
those stock rear stop bumps look kinda punny on that thing. It is looking good.

OP
OP
B

Bones

Loc.
Michigan
yeah, i dont like the rear bump stops... they will be replaced with superduty bump stops at some point (most likely when I swap to 14" rear shocks)