• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford dealership technicians

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
don't we have 3 or so fORD Dealership Technicians on this Classic sight.
I have 2 question I NEED to ask .
& So does DAVE. He was asking his question on the Off Topic sight this morning . He has a 2002 Explorer & I have a 2007 Escape .
...... But iF I CAN figure out who to ask I'll either send you a PM or ask it in the off topic section, So as to keep it off the Tech section.
... If mine are in the off topic any one is welcome to answer .
Thank you Guys .

SO WHO ARE YOU.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
interesting you should post this. I was just thinking about who I could get to verify the hours and rates to remove and replace a 6.0L in a 2006 F350.

Pa, I might be able to answer your question. I fought an 06 Escape for far too long until the wife "fixed" it for me buy wrecking it.

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
...verify the hours and rates to remove and replace a 6.0L in a 2006 F350.
The only verification that matters is what the shop you choose to do your work for you on your vehicle says they're gonna charge you. They tell you how many hours they're gonna charge you for, and how much they're gonna charge for each of those hours. Any other shop or mechanic can charge any other hours and any other hourly rate, so no one else can verify what your shop has told you.

There are many guides published to tell shops how long the job is EXPECTED to take, but they're only guides. A shop can charge for more or less than any guide, based on the condition of the vehicle and any other factors they choose to consider (like a customer telling them how little he wants to pay them). The only exception is a factory dealership charging the factory for warranty jobs - the factory sets those times.

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would only go to reputable private auto shops on older vehicles. Found by asking the closest parts store who they would use. I would avoid any dealership, as their hours are crazy high. A small shop can float you a deal if you let them take time. But if you need it done as fast as they can get it, get your checkbook out.

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
There are many guides published to tell shops how long the job is EXPECTED to take, but they're only guides. A shop can charge for more or less than any guide, based on the condition of the vehicle and any other factors they choose to consider (like a customer telling them how little he wants to pay them). The only exception is a factory dealership charging the factory for warranty jobs - the factory sets those times.

I would only go to reputable private auto shops on older vehicles. Found by asking the closest parts store who they would use. I would avoid any dealership, as their hours are crazy high. A small shop can float you a deal if you let them take time. But if you need it done as fast as they can get it, get your checkbook out.

The most reputable PRIVATE shop we're talking to says they charge according to what the book says. I'm going to assume that's Ford warranty charges. We're talking something like 6,000 JUST TO PULL and REINSTALL a 6.0L powerstroke engine. That's not including any other time spent fixing the engine. So I'd like someone to tell me what the warranty cost is, i guess?

EPB72

Contributor
Loc.
Pleasant Hill, CA
The most reputable PRIVATE shop we're talking to says they charge according to what the book says. I'm going to assume that's Ford warranty charges. We're talking something like 6,000 JUST TO PULL and REINSTALL a 6.0L powerstroke engine. That's not including any other time spent fixing the engine. So I'd like someone to tell me what the warranty cost is, i guess?

I can get you that info later today it will be from Mitchel labor guides,,,,to the above comment there are standard times and warranty times,I can't imagine any shop quoting warranty times even the dealer ...the warranty time is what Ford Corp. will pay out to the dealer to do the repair of a vehicle still covered under warranty...So if there's two vehicles sitting waiting for repair one is under warranty one is not the labor times will be different..a FLAT rate paid tech will be credited accordingly as well... Mitchel long block. 29.7 hours .Aldata. 28.9. There is no warranty times posted.. rebuild time calls for 42.5 hours …all this depends on long block and what's included are injectors installed ?? Oil cooler and Egr cooler would not do job unless replacing both .. clean up not allow d in posted times to do so ,, intake and egr usually take some time to clean out …….also any added accessories that can interfere an add time lifted vehicl, aftermarket bumpers winches all can interfer need to adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
The most reputable PRIVATE shop we're talking to says they charge according to what the book says. I'm going to assume that's Ford warranty charges.
No, warranty times are the bare minimum that the factory can get away with paying the dealerships to fix factory problems. No private shop would ever do a job for the warranty time. Typical customer-pay time is 1.5~2x warranty time. Mitchell time for an '06 6.0L varies based on auto/stick and 2/4WD from 17.1(2WD auto)-20.2hrs(4WD stick).

But that only addresses the number of hours. The hourly rate converts that number into dollars, and they can charge whatever rate they want. There are also shops that charge tiered rates, which means the first hour costs a different amount from the 5th or 10th hour.

So ultimately, it's always up to each shop to charge whatever they want to charge for each job on each vehicle for each customer.