• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Econoline bottle jack vs chevy pickup scissor jack vs Fullsize Bronco jack

bcmbcmbcm

Loc.
Wellington Fl
Hey folks,

Project has been dormant but I am making plans again. Original jack is long gone. I need a new one to carry mainly for tire changes on pavement, with the ability to help someone else in need. I don't need it for recovery. I will off road with buddies, I have a winch, and will be getting a good recovery strap. My 74 is stock height with 31 inch tires.

I like the idea of using a jack that was used in production car or truck. That way I can source a replacement if it fails and have it fit nicely fabbed mounts if I don't decide to carry it in a gear bag.

I read and searched and many prefer a bottle jack and some suggested a chevy truck scissor jack. Here are my thoughts and questions.

Bottle jack-problem is they are too tall generally, and I have to climb under the rig to jack it up because the handle is too short. But...the ones I saw on eBay from an 08-15 Super Duty or Econoline F350-F450 look like they have a very long handle when the two pieces are connected. I don't mind crawling underneath to place the jack, but I would prefer to raise and lower the rig while standing from a safe distance.

Scissor jack-problem has been that they take a long time to crank and a lot of effort. Same issue with the short handle. But, on eBay I saw one for an 88-98 Blazer/Tahoe, Suburban that looked pretty stout, and the handles also looked pretty long for cranking, though I am not sure if I can get good leverage on it if need be. It looks easier to mount to a cage than a bottle jack which would likely end up in a gear bag.

87-91 Fullsize Bronco jack- my memory is from 1991 when I used one out of an 89 FSB. I remember it had a nice long speed handle that resided on the core support. Once positioned I could raise and lower from a safe distance. I don't remember if it was mechanical or hydraulic. Anyone know?
I remember it being really sweet! But then again I was only 17 and used to change oil weekly for fun.

Thanks for your input folks!

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Another idea I have seen pictures of was someone took a piece of steel plate and made a skid which was mounted on a floor jack in place of the casters.
I have thought of doing that with one of those aluminum floor jacks Harbor Freight has on sale so often.

tirewater

Loc.
San Francisco Bay Area
Buy a non hydraulic (mechanical screw type) bottle jack. Similar to what your Bronco would've come with. As you mention, get an OEM one from a *truck*. Just go to the junkyard and buy one in good condition with its handle.

Do not buy a cheap random scissor jack from a random person/company off of ebay! :) AFAIK, scissor jacks are typically used for low vehicle heights and lift via a pinch weld on the body. On your Bronco you'll be lifting from your axle or radius arm (or frame if you have a tall enough jack)

Edit: It looks like Jeep JKs came with a scissor jack. So it looks like there are some that should be safe lifting a solid axle vehicle. AEV even makes a raised based for it for bigger tires.

Crush

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Greenbottom, WV
rangers/bii's/f150 just about any ford truck and van have those screw type jacks and the long handles to put them under the trucks. they are made with a hook on the end of the handle that goes into the bottle jack to lock into place. this lets you put the handle in the jack out from underneath the truck and then slide it under with the handle. very safe and effective. might look to see if the later model trucks with taller wheels and tires have them, they may have a taller lift to the jack body

Soylent

Contributor
Loc.
California
This is what I use.
820f2a88f2b76123967a2d1daae45023.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Dodge vans form the 70s have the very same jack that the bronco has