• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Fuel Injection on a 408W??

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Any opinions on putting a fuel injection system on a 408? I am wondering how much HP the system will support...

I did a search and found several threads about mild 351W applications, but how about a 408 pushing 500HP or so?

gddyap

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mtn View, CA
Coby Hughey ran Ford EFI on his 427 stroker a few years ago. Started with a Lightning lower w/Cobra upper and then switched to TrickFlow. Mustang computer, 90mm MAF, not sure on the throttlebody size. Also not sure on the injector size, probably like 36lb. He used to run it down the drag strip with racing slicks.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
A standard mass air system with 19# injectors will support up to around 320 hp. I run that setup on a mild 351W and it works great. But something bigger and badder than that will likely require some custom configuration of your EFI system like a bigger MAF, injectors, throttle body, and custom chip. Plus the whole system will have to be matched so everything works right.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
FoMoCo efi on a stroked windsor

Yes, it will work with mods- I am running the 'stang computer, modified rails and FRP harness on a 392- 298 rwh-engine-who knows, rear wheels is what counts. Trick Flow track heat 351 upper and lower, 30lb inj. bla. bla..... The KEY to making it work is a custom tune on the computer. If you are going fwd with this project you need to find a reputable chasis dyno and tuner.....
Keep us posted.

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
427W, With modified A9L computer. Custom chip burned by Blood Enterprises in Auburn WA. EST 500 flywheel horsepower

Attachments

• EFI4.jpg
    EFI4.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 179
  • EFI5.jpg
    EFI5.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 203

fish

Hay Superman
Are you running a body lift? Does the hood give you an extra 3"?

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
Looks great Mountainview68, that is similar to what I was thinking about.

The custom chip thing is making me a little hesitant though, I may just stick with the carb...

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Looks great Mountainview68, that is similar to what I was thinking about.

The custom chip thing is making me a little hesitant though, I may just stick with the carb...

What is so scarry about a chip. If you have a local tuner near you (Super chips website has a source of tuners last I checked) it is easy. Figure the smallest injector that will run the engine, get a good MAF and they put the two together for a basic program. Then they dyno it and fine tune the curves and you are ready to go.

For a few bucks more try the TwEECker. It is a do it yourself tune on a chip with a laptop. Samething the dyno does only without the dyno, years of knoweledge, controlled enviroment. Or about how you would end up tuning a carb anyway.

Do the EFI. The chip thing is about the lamest excuss for avoiding EFI I have ever heard.

OP
OP
D

Dave St

Loc.
Roanoke, VA
It is not that I am "scared", I just prefer to keep everything with commonly available parts so that I can get replacement parts at any auto parts store in the event of break down. A custom chip does not fit that definition. My Bronco is my daily driver and I don't want to be in the position of waiting for a custom part to be shipped if it breaks down.

The Tweecer sounds interesting, I will have to research that.

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
The biggest thing is taking the time to match ALL of your components together, not going cheap on parts, and letting the guys who have the right equipment tune it. I ran without a custom chip for a while, ran ok once it ws warm. Then I tried having a guy on the internet burn me one that he said would be close and the computer would learn the rest, WRONG. Finally took it to the guys and had them put it on the dyno and burn a chip there. Picked up tons of power and driveability throughout the entire RPM range. Once you run with the EFI you will not want to ever go carb again. Just turn the key and go. INSTANT throttle response, and the torque increase is amazing.

mountainview68

Loc.
yet to be determined
It is not that I am "scared", I just prefer to keep everything with commonly available parts so that I can get replacement parts at any auto parts store in the event of break down. A custom chip does not fit that definition. My Bronco is my daily driver and I don't want to be in the position of waiting for a custom part to be shipped if it breaks down.

The Tweecer sounds interesting, I will have to research that.

How many 88-93 mass air mustangs with EFI are on the road?? Tons. It will still run without a chip, maybe not great, you can take it out anytime in the event of a breakdown.

joe

Bronco Guru
i picked up a lower 351 intake today from a 93 f-250 and have an upper 5.0 off a later 80's lincoln. my 351w is pretty much stock, .030 over with efi compatible etreme 4x4 comp cam.

the manifold and upper pelinium will work with the adapter plate.

my question is, is it a good combo? do i need an H.O. upper of a mustang?
are all lower intakes the same? where can i get new fuel rails? what size injectors should i get? what computer should i get? & about a million other questions.

sorry to hijack your thread but i am considering a stroker in the future but want this stocker to work for now.

kb6677

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To add to Mountain's and Broncob's posts, The custom chip is name only. As was posted you need to go to a tuner with a chasis dyno. Most have the software on site to burn the chip for you right there. IF you use their rec. calibrations it is then set for YOUR application. NO guess work IF the tuner is able to read/use his equipment!! You mentioned your eb was a dd. Cool, I carry a spare computer on the trail rig and was told by the tuner, unless I submerge the chip/computer the chip should not crap out, only needed to worry about the computer. He also saved my data on a file- if the chip ever has an "issue" it is as simple as pulling up my file and burning another chip.

On a related note, anyone ever get info realistic input on how much hp 40's,C4 and Atlas rob??? :)
HTH

IronBenderII

I'm running a 408 w/ Ford EFI. I have an SCT chip that was tuned on a chassis dyno. I have a reasonably lumpy cam, aluminum 210cc heads and GT40 intake with a 90 mm mass air.

It's voilently fast. Roll into the throttle and the 40's spin like you wouldn't believe. Stab it fast and you better be on your A-game :D Fastest Bronco I've been in (this will be fun :D)

Jack