• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Fuel Injection on a 408W??

Broncobowsher

Total hack
i picked up a lower 351 intake today from a 93 f-250 and have an upper 5.0 off a later 80's lincoln. my 351w is pretty much stock, .030 over with efi compatible etreme 4x4 comp cam.

the manifold and upper pelinium will work with the adapter plate.

my question is, is it a good combo? do i need an H.O. upper of a mustang?
are all lower intakes the same? where can i get new fuel rails? what size injectors should i get? what computer should i get? & about a million other questions.

sorry to hijack your thread but i am considering a stroker in the future but want this stocker to work for now.

For a mild 351 that should be fine. You can adapt the 5.0 fuel rail by cutting the plastic rail connecting lines off and replacing with rubber fuel injection hose from the parts store. Depending on how mild the 351 is, the 19s may be fine. If you are getting a custom tune and need injectors anyway go 24's. They are easy to find at parts stores if need by, just get injectors for a 460. No need for a HO intake, I don't know anyone who has found anything different other then the cover plate on top is different.

IronBenderII

HO intakes have a larger opening where the throttle body mounts. A true HO intake is marked under the plate w/ HO.

Duke Nukem

Loc.
Simi Valley
i picked up a lower 351 intake today from a 93 f-250 and have an upper 5.0 off a later 80's lincoln. my 351w is pretty much stock, .030 over with efi compatible etreme 4x4 comp cam.

the manifold and upper pelinium will work with the adapter plate.

my question is, is it a good combo? do i need an H.O. upper of a mustang?
are all lower intakes the same? where can i get new fuel rails? what size injectors should i get? what computer should i get? & about a million other questions.

I'm running a mild 351W with a stock mass air system and 19# injectors and it works fine for that engine. The BCB adapter plate will match your lincoln upper to your truck lower intake no problem and it should work fine, you don't need a mustang upper. As was said, you can re-use your existing fuel rails. I just cut off the fuel line between my rails and used a longer piece of high pressure fuel hose with high pressure clamps.

Any of the '89-'93 mustang computers should work for you (e.g. A9M, A9L, A9S, C3W, C3W1, etc). These computers are designed to run either automatic or manual transmission vehicles, with the only real difference being that the auto tranny computers seem to drop the idle a bit slower once you let off the gas. So it is probably not a bad idea to get an auto computer if you are running an auto tranny, although it would probably still run fine either way.

I recommend that you read all the articles on www.fordfuelinjection.com, and also pick up the probst book on ford fuel injection. That will give you a good start.

joe

Bronco Guru
I'm running a mild 351W with a stock mass air system and 19# injectors and it works fine for that engine. The BCB adapter plate will match your lincoln upper to your truck lower intake no problem and it should work fine, you don't need a mustang upper. As was said, you can re-use your existing fuel rails. I just cut off the fuel line between my rails and used a longer piece of high pressure fuel hose with high pressure clamps.

Any of the '89-'93 mustang computers should work for you (e.g. A9M, A9L, A9S, C3W, C3W1, etc). These computers are designed to run either automatic or manual transmission vehicles, with the only real difference being that the auto tranny computers seem to drop the idle a bit slower once you let off the gas. So it is probably not a bad idea to get an auto computer if you are running an auto tranny, although it would probably still run fine either way.

I recommend that you read all the articles on www.fordfuelinjection.com, and also pick up the probst book on ford fuel injection. That will give you a good start.

thanx, a bunch!

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
5.8 or 5.0 Fuel Rails

I'm running a mild 351W As was said, you can re-use your existing fuel rails. I just cut off the fuel line between my rails and used a longer piece of high pressure fuel hose with high pressure clamps.

QUOTE]

Can you use the stock 5.0 fuel rail I am in the middle of gathering parts right now. have 5.8 & 5.0 Rails

Brian

Last edited:

COBlu77

Loc.
Arvada, CO
You can use the stock 5.0 fuel rails on a 5.8, but you will need to connect them front and back with a little longer (than stock 5.0) HP fuel line. Simple and easy.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
Can you use the 5.8 fuel rails . I have both 5.8 & 5.0 fuel Rails so I can go ether way
What I am doing is a 5.8 (84 motor) with a 5.8 EFI Intack Bc Bronco Adapter 5.0 HO pluem thanks for the help

Brian

Last edited:

Broncoloupy

Loc.
Parkton MD
The biggest thing is taking the time to match ALL of your components together, not going cheap on parts, and letting the guys who have the right equipment tune it. I ran without a custom chip for a while, ran ok once it ws warm. Then I tried having a guy on the internet burn me one that he said would be close and the computer would learn the rest, WRONG. Finally took it to the guys and had them put it on the dyno and burn a chip there. Picked up tons of power and driveability throughout the entire RPM range. Once you run with the EFI you will not want to ever go carb again. Just turn the key and go. INSTANT throttle response, and the torque increase is amazing.

Words to live by! Set a goal,buy parts as budget allows,install properly matched stuff and run the piss out of it when it is right.Do not settle for a part because it is cheap.%)

www.sbftech.com is a great resource for efi stuff.They self police and will not put up with BSers.

357Bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
New Hampsha
I'd like to see the specs on this 500hp daily driven motor. Is this naturally aspirated? I've seen some pretty healthy streetable 408's on the dyno, and they weren't making 500hp. Not busting your balls, just curious.

IronBenderII

I'd like to see the specs on this 500hp daily driven motor. Is this naturally aspirated? I've seen some pretty healthy streetable 408's on the dyno, and they weren't making 500hp. Not busting your balls, just curious.

Mine is supposed to be around there somewhere...

IronBenderII

Yeah, kind of. He wasn't doing full pulls because it was a new motor, it came out to 250 HP and 350 torque. He estimated it to be in the high 400's for HP and mid 600's for torque (at the crank). You going back to Moab this year?