• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ford Racing spark plug wires wont fit distributor cap

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
My Ford Racing spark plug wires will not fit my distributor cap. I do not know what distributor the previous owner put on it, it has no brand. Do I need to return the wires and get a different set or change the cap? The distrubutor post are way to big for the wire caps.

Attachments

• distributor cap 006.JPG
    distributor cap 006.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 49
  • distributor cap 007.JPG
    distributor cap 007.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 58
  • distributor cap 009.JPG
    distributor cap 009.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 49
  • distributor cap 010.JPG
    distributor cap 010.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I just talked to Summit tech line and the guy was not much help. I did figure out that I have a female cap and I need a male cap. The distributor is a Motorcraft with the #12127 on it. It is new, so I do not really want to buy a distributor. I just got the Autozone link to work and found a MSD Cap Adapt that is a male post 8408 part number, is this what I need? 35 bucks seems high for a cap. I am sure someone will have the answer on here, so lets show Summit where real tech help is at, LOL.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Look up a dist cap for a 77 bronco. there will be a cap adapter on the same page you need that along with the cap and rotor.

70_Steve

Old Guy
I've seen the adapters, to convert an older style distributor to one that can use the newer style cap, sold as an Adapt-a-Cap.

Here's a pic of the adapter installed. Note the clips for the adapter, and the clips for the cap.

Bonus Question: Whats wrong with this pic (from Wild Horses on-line catalog)?

Attachments

• distributor.jpg
    distributor.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 139

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You need the taller rotor as its not only taller its wider as the cap is wider to prevent crossfire. Electronic igintions tend to put out a little more power than points type thats why they redesigned the cap but it works with either setup

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Would it just be better to return the wires and get some wires that fit the cap to avoid adapters.

RangerRob

To make sure this doesn't snowball further, take a look at your air cleaner to make sure you will have clearance for the taller cap. I have a low profile 13" and it does interfere slightly with the wires at the back of the cap. Otherwise, the new HEI style is the way to go! I did it using the Standard brand components and it has worked out just fine.

70_Steve....that is a 6 cylinder cap and wires.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I dont think so the wider cap is a benifit unless you need the space. And the motorsports wires are very good. You could also just hit up a junkyard get a cap adapter from any 77 up ford even 6cyl engines used the same cap adapter. Then just get a new cap and rotor.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Would it just be better to return the wires and get some wires that fit the cap to avoid adapters.

Nope. The adaptor, cap and rotor are all parts the factory did to upgrade the system in the first place. I personally think they should have been there since the 60's. That and the Motorsports plug wires are great wires at a bargin price.

You started the upgrade with the good wires, finish it with the upgraded cap design.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Yes thats the rotor that will be needed. Just get a cap adapter and the cap and rotor kit for a 77 and you'll be good to go with good wires and a upgraded cap.

OP
OP
rjrobin2002

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks abunch guys. Learn something new everyday since I was not alive when these things were made. So for the trivia question on the distributor cap on a fuel injected engine. I guess ya'll are saying that the combo will not work.