• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Forgot to mark the flywheel before removing engine... how do I fix this?

hollowch

Loc.
Midland, TX
First time engine puller here... forgot to mark the flywheel to be matched back up to the crankshaft correctly... what do I do??

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
If it doesn't have an alignemnt pin or woodruff key, then the flywheel is balanced seperately and it won't matter.

My Big Bolck Chevy and I6 BMW were balanced serperately. The balancer was the harmonic balancer on the front. Never had a Ford apart that far.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I use blue loctite, which is a sealer as well.
Reasons;
Loctite because if one of the bolts comes out there is potential for all kinds of uglyness.
Sealer because the bolt holes on most cranks go all the way through. Oil can weep through the threads and contaminate the clutch in time.

asinor

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Learn somthing new every day, I didn't know the rear main seal on a sbf used the flange for the seal surface.

SBF: around the flange.
scaled.php

BBC: a good deal behind the flange (and much harder to replace).
130580-500-0.jpg

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
That upper pic is of a late model crank/block with a 1 piece seal. The older ones used a 2 piece seal similar to the lower pic.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
A thread sealer or loctite???? :eek: Reason???

I typed thread sealer because I didn't want to debate if thread lock is needed. I also use the blue loctite for the same seasons that broncobowsher stated. But if you don't use locker it very unlikely the bolts will come lose but if you don't use a sealer it's almost certain the bolts will leak.

4lofun

I assembled mine and used pipe sealant and then I had to pull my transmision and do it right with Blue loctite or maybe I used a pipe sealant with threadlock? Can't remember now which one I used but it's been 3 years and all I remember is that I had to pull my trans. out to repair. Next time will be blue loctite on these bolts for me.