• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Forgot to replace oil cap. Loud banging

Notusingmyname

I'm a dumbass and forgot to replace my oil cap. Drive about 50 miles in light rain and engine started to make loud banging noise. Runs fine in neutral. Any ideas how bad the damage could be?

73azbronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
How bad could it be? Catastrophic. Or you could have a squirrel stuck in a tire knob.

Last edited:

Keek

Loc.
Halstead Kansas
Have you found the missing oil cap?

If so, where?

If not, where is the banging sound coming from? It might be the oil cap.

If it somehow got lodged somewhere that is banging as it tears up the oil cap, that's your damage.

Have you checked your oil level?

If so, is it normal or did it get drastically depleted?

If it stayed at a normal level, and the oil cap isn't lodged somewhere making the banging noise, then you'll have to start diagnosing the engine for damage.

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Runs fine in neutral....well I think you got utter issues....maybe in trans/clutch?

patterdale

Bronco Guru
I'd say find the cap and put it back on. No way you lost enough oil to cause a problem by just leaving the cap off. You drove in the rain with it off. Check the oil for water. It will either look foamy or if you loosen the plug water will come out first before oil does. Somthin just ain't raaight here. I just can't imagine a scenario here that would cause major engine damage. Unless.... You actually did remember to put it on and the ears that hold it on broke off and are rattling around in the valve train.

Last edited:

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Have you found the missing oil cap?

If so, where?

If not, where is the banging sound coming from? It might be the oil cap.

If it somehow got lodged somewhere that is banging as it tears up the oil cap, that's your damage.

that would be my guess as well