• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found a SECOND playmate for the Ambulance Bronco (see post 170, pg. 12)

KuttySark

Loc.
Southern California
Congrats Drew.

I had gone back and forth with Pete Brown a couple times. He was unpleasant, to say the very least. I'm glad that truck now has a proper, loving home.

Now, to hunt down a van...

broncopete78

Loc.
ID
Really? You insulted me and questioned the trucks authenticity. I called you out when I told you my information came from Willi Stroppe himself. It is amazing all the different personalities that come out when a special vehicle is found and changes everything they thought they knew.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Kutty, I'm sorry to hear there were any bad feelings over this vehicle, but glad it worked out in the end as it did!

Pete was very nice and pleasant to me, and was actually extremely patient since it took me much longer than usual on this rig to finally commit and to make arrangements to have shipped.

I had originally wanted to pick it up back in April when we went out to Fab Fords to get the Ambulance, but Idaho was too far out of the way for the time we had allotted. We also wanted to take my dads 66 U13 out with us to show there and on the way back at the Bronco Driver show in TN.

We then planned on making a special trip out to ID to get it (and work in a few days of sight seeing at Yellowstone and other places), but when it was all said, it made more sense to just get it shipped in. Even that took much longer than expected until I finally got another broker who to a more active approach and had it picked up and in my driveway within 3 days.

Pete also sent me all the materials he had collected including the info contained in the "Stroppe Motorsports" printed folder which he obtained from Willie Stroppe whichI did not know he even had. He did this even before my check was cashed and also had a spare key made and sent before it arrived. With that said, I would not hesitate to deal with him again.

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here is another article we scanned...

This cover shot has one of the F-100's in the foreground and the Ambulance and balloon behind it.

Notice in this shot, the F-100 does not have slot mags, but turbine style wheels and the Desert Dog PVC tires instead of the standard Desert Dogs.

Attachments

• Travelin 4X4 May 77 1.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 May 77 1.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Travelin 4X4 May 77 2.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 May 77 2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 88
  • Travelin 4X4 May 77 3.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 May 77 3.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 77
  • Travelin 4X4 May 77 4.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 May 77 4.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 70
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Another article unearthed by ToddZ....

This one is about the Ambulance, but also mentions some of the other vehicles and history behind them. Note the discrepancy where the author states two F-150 Flairsides were built and does not mention the F-100's. Of all the Flairsides (step sides), I think there were actually three: one F-150 (Bill Stroppe drove that one) and two F-100's.

Attachments

• scan0005 (Large).jpg
    scan0005 (Large).jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 69
  • scan0007 (Large).jpg
    scan0007 (Large).jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
A nice pic of the balloon and the F-150 (left) with the night time flood lights on the roll bar and emergency light on the roof. The F-150 also had folding mirrors on the doors where the F-100's had the small, Early Bronco type mirrors.

On the right is one of the F-100's loaded with spare LPG tanks.

Attachments

• Balloon pic-1.jpg
    Balloon pic-1.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 80

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
this stuff is too cool Drew.....love the pics of whailing on the ambulance!

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Hey Drew ....

exclude Karl Thomas ( the current Minister of Defence in Germany )
i was assured in 1977 he was at the University of Freiburg GER. studying for his state examine ! lol ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
btw ...

did you know the team had custom jackets made for the balloon chase ??? how much would one of them be worth ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Hey Drew ....

exclude Karl Thomas ( the current Minister of Defence in Germany )
i was assured in 1977 he was at the University of Freiburg GER. studying for his state examine ! lol ;D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
btw ...

did you know the team had custom jackets made for the balloon chase ??? how much would one of them be worth ?

Yes, I've seen team jackets in some of the pics. They had Kar-A-Van patches on them (one of the brands RVI conversions were sold under).

I have no idea what they'd be worth. Probably not much to most auto collectors, but more to someone like me who has a stronger reason to buy one. I bought an original Parnelli Jones Vel's Racing team jacket off ebay a couple years ago for $20. Since I bought mine, I got it signed by Parnelli.

Here is one like I bought on ebay now...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Early-1970s...ing_Fan_Shop&hash=item1e6095c35f#ht_922wt_932

KuttySark

Loc.
Southern California
Really? You insulted me and questioned the trucks authenticity. I called you out when I told you my information came from Willi Stroppe himself. It is amazing all the different personalities that come out when a special vehicle is found and changes everything they thought they knew.

You were rude, insulting, and ill tempered long before I leveled any insults and questioned the build date.

I politely excused myself from any negotiations before you put the truck on eBay. When bidding ended on your second auction below $2300 (below your reserve), you cold contacted me with the bargain price of $5000. I said not interested, you lost your cool, and the ranting began. You were frustrated and clearly still are.

I'd post the exchange we had here, but there are kids who use this website.

For the record many of the trucks that came through the Stroppe shop did so 30 to 40 years ago. While Willie has a keen memory and is an excellent source of all things Stroppe, I take it upon myself to document everything I can when it comes to authenticating my own trucks to my own satisfaction. I havent seen the truck in person but know Drew to be a consummate perfectionist.

Drew, again, congratulations on providing a decent home for a rare piece of history.

1975stroppebaja

Bronco Guru
All of this is just too cool Drew! Congrats on the purchase! Can't wait to see it & the ambulance in Carlisle one of these days. I'm looking forward to getting back up there next year so hopefully they'll both be there :cool:

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
All of this is just too cool Drew! Congrats on the purchase! Can't wait to see it & the ambulance in Carlisle one of these days. I'm looking forward to getting back up there next year so hopefully they'll both be there :cool:

Thanks, we'll have them both there next year, but the F-100 may be as-is. I'm not sure when I will start the restoration on it since we have a few projects to finish that are in front of it.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Thanks, we'll have them both there next year, but the F-100 may be as-is. I'm not sure when I will start the restoration on it since we have a few projects to finish that are in front of it.

yes drew ...
great idea to hold off for a lil on the restoration !
bc ... you dont want to remove some of the dents in the back of the bed that where from lowering and lifting tanks to the balloon while in flight!
Also the emergence crash landing of the balloon in the back of the truck would explain wy some things are not the way the should be looking at the pics !!!

i know ..when i ask you to call me you never do ...sooo

oh ...but tasker you have on speed dile !!! hahaha ;D :D ;)

i wonder what you would do w. the origina ford balloon used in the race ?!?!?
yes its alive and all nice packed away in MI !!!!

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
. . .

OK, I see where this is going . . . find a van, buy the original balloon, learn to fly it and we can recreate the balloon trip for the 50th Bronco Anniversary!! ;D;D

I'll volunteer to drive the Ambulance, or the F100, or even the Van!!

We've got 5 years to do this, let's get going!!!

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
ok her we go :

German KARL AND GEORGE THOMAS of Troy, Mich ...

both live within 1h driving radius from my house in FL ( but least the dont drive slow ) hahah

George today age 59 an nautical architect and engineer & ( a air wing design and flow genius in my opinion )

Karl Thomas, who flew his hot-air balloon solo for a record setting eighteen days from Arcadian, California, to Jacksonville, Florida,
today age 62 is a very successfully multi business owner . He still likes to fly but the these days with his own creation/ design plane !!!
I spoke w. both about that ( in german ) and
fully understand there desire to privacy and certainly will respect there wishes until i am told otherwise thats as much as i can tell you about them !!!

I hope i can maybe get Karl to join me in Feb @ Edison / Ford ... but i let you know !!!! SORRY Drew !!!

edit :
you can find 2 listings for Karl in troy MI but both are African American
add 9 listings for George in troy MI , but non are Fam since there parents and fam are still in Deutschland !!!
please delete your internet post & search THANKS
( i now cant find the post .... hhmm gone, cool, thanks )

now just a lil what i know about whats what and wy .....

Last edited:

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
OK, I see where this is going . . . find a van, buy the original balloon, learn to fly it and we can recreate the balloon trip for the 50th Bronco Anniversary!! ;D;D

I'll volunteer to drive the Ambulance, or the F100, or even the Van!!

We've got 5 years to do this, let's get going!!!

HMMM .... GEART IDEA !!!

and maybe this time we can get the ok from Ford !!!

& i like to be in the helicopter w. karl and george !!! ;D :D haha

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
Bronco Dave or myself would HAVE to drive the van....

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
1, there where a total of 15 custom road going vehicles made for the chase team !!!
the helicopter was chartered ( not a part of the team ) from ford in Daytona to pick up karl after landing the balloon in jacksonville and bring him to Daytona for a race that was held there that weekend !!!
( i ask karl if it was the 500 ! )

2, the balloon race:

a lil first about Karl !!

Karl Thomas of Troy, Mich. made his solo effort last June. His nine-story-high, helium-filled aerostat, named The Spirit of '76 in honor of the Bicentennial, lifted off from the Lakehurst, N.J. Naval Air Station on a calm summer evening. For the first 31 hours the balloon drifted eastward. But 400 miles south of Newfoundland Thomas ran into violent thunderstorms.
Lightning exploded all around him, and 50-mph winds kicked up monstrous waves below. Suddenly, Thomas recalls, a "ferocious downdraft" sent his craft plunging toward the dark Atlantic. Working to separate the gondola from the helium envelope before crashing, Thomas began to hit the emergency releases, but two of them popped prematurely, tilting the gondola on its side and dumping out 1,000 pounds of equipment, including Thomas' parachute and raft. With all that weight unintentionally jettisoned, the lightened balloon shot upward.
"In dangerous situations I've always acted aggressively and gotten myself out of trouble," says Thomas. He did so again, jumping about 220 feet into the sea, arms flailing to stay upright. He hit the water feet first, and the impact fractured three ribs and broke a blood vessel in his lung. Despite "astounding pain," he recounts, he somehow found his raft bobbing in the waves and clambered aboard. "I thought, god-dammit, I will survive! Somebody has lasted 37 days out here. Let's try for more." Mercifully, it was not that long. After four days and nights Thomas was plucked from the sea by a Europe-bound Russian freighter, which took him to Rotterdam.

... after all that and only few months later i think anyone would want a chase team !!!

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

So if I understand your statement correctly, Karl still has the balloon and its safely packed away in Michigan?

Todd Z.