• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Found a SECOND playmate for the Ambulance Bronco (see post 170, pg. 12)

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
So if I understand your statement correctly, Karl still has the balloon and its safely packed away in Michigan?

Todd Z.

YES !!! so he told me when i ask him earlier today !!!

also ....

the original idea for the race came from the ford promotion department. The wanted it to be something thats a record but still achievable !

After everyone involved agreed to do it, it also got funded by the ford promotion department but without the knowlage and consent by the president of Ford !!!

the balloon it self was built by karl .... and all the vehicles where prepared by bill and painted by ( blankenship or so ) !!!

wy did it take 18 days when just 3 month later a guy beat Karls record and did the same thing only in 9 days

( thats wy no finds in the record books of that year about Karl )

the Race turned into a big publicity stunt for ford w. celebrity stops on its way . that was all fine until over Mexico the president of Ford got wind of it and karl and his support team in mexico endet up in jail until things where cleared up !!!! ( i think 2 days )
anyway ...the "race" went on with a pre determent fight plan and arrival date in Jacksonville !!!
after that all vehicles where driven around ( about 8 months ) by members of the team including Karl .
George told me he got to drive the Bronco in Detroit for a lil !

I sincerely hope that Karl changes his mind one day and fills in and shares all the lil neat facts and funny stories about the early part in 1977 !!
thanks

Franko

Last edited:
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
In one of these old pics I have seen a cover/bag with cables that was used to store the balloon. We got that with the Ambulance, it was stashed in the back while store at Stroppe's and went with it when Willie sold the Ambulance to Duff's in 98. We thought that is what it might have been but were unsure (actually thought it might be a cover for the gondola).

BTW, there was also another cool find in the back of the Ambulance. We found what is believed to be the original hand painted artwork on a canvas tire cover of the Baja Bronco tire cover logo. The main panel was white canvas with a black vinyl band around the tire tread area. The canvas has seen better days and is no longer usable as a tire cover. I think my dad is going to get it framed and I plan to ask Willie about that to see if he can authenticate it as being what we suspect.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
hey drew ....
if you like and have the time make a list w. specific questions you might have.
E-mail it to me
and i go over it with Karl the next time ( prob. after sep 11th )
i have lunch / brunch with him.

Franko289@aol

also .... Karl was surprised to hear that the Duffs sold the Bronco but happy to hear
1, that it went to a collecter and
2, that you also have the F100 he crashed into

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Here is Part II (July 1977) of one of the article I posted earlier from "Travelin' 4x4's Minis & Pickups"

Also included is a full page ad for RVI on the inside cover featuring the chasers.

Attachments

• Travelin 4X4 July 1977 1.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 July 1977 1.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 109
  • Travelin 4X4 July 1977 2.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 July 1977 2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 140
  • Travelin 4X4 July 1977 3.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 July 1977 3.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Travelin 4X4 July 1977 4.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 July 1977 4.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Travelin 4X4 July 1977 5.jpg
    Travelin 4X4 July 1977 5.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 75
OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Franko,

So how/when did you find Karl?

I'll see if I can work up a list with some questions for him.

Thanks,
Drew

hey drew ....
if you like and have the time make a list w. specific questions you might have.
E-mail it to me
and i go over it with Karl the next time ( prob. after sep 11th )
i have lunch / brunch with him.

Franko289@aol

also .... Karl was surprised to hear that the Duffs sold the Bronco but happy to hear
1, that it went to a collecter and
2, that you also have the F100 he crashed into

BajaBronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I informed Suzy and James that was what it was at SOB 4 I think, when it was still on the tire, and I think they took it off right then and there. What I remember anyway. Top edge had just broken through. I could see the brushstrokes and when I asked him, I think Willie's response was "...probably."

BTW, there was also another cool find in the back of the Ambulance. We found what is believed to be the original hand painted artwork on a canvas tire cover of the Baja Bronco tire cover logo. The main panel was white canvas with a black vinyl band around the tire tread area. The canvas has seen better days and is no longer usable as a tire cover. I think my dad is going to get it framed and I plan to ask Willie about that to see if he can authenticate it as being what we suspect.

FRANKO289

Contributor
Bronco enthusiast
Franko,

So how/when did you find Karl?

I'll see if I can work up a list with some questions for him.

Thanks,
Drew

i didnt ... we crossed paths in the mid 90s ( but i didnt know who he was and what he did)
When i ask George ( engineer ) if he was the brother of the famous
adventurer he told me yes , but immediately ask me for privacy and his dislike for the Internet !!!
George told his brother and he called me .

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
i didnt ... we crossed paths in the mid 90s ( but i didnt know who he was and what he did)
When i ask George ( engineer ) if he was the brother of the famous
adventurer he told me yes , but immediately ask me for privacy and his dislike for the Internet !!!
George told his brother and he called me .

Very cool, a small world gets even smaller when you have lots of enthusiasts with a wide range of backgrounds and from all over get together on a place like CB!

tasker

Contributor
all knowing of nothing
Loc.
NH
another photo sent

Attachments

• tn.jpg
    tn.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 84

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
OK, I see where this is going . . . find a van, buy the original balloon, learn to fly it and we can recreate the balloon trip for the 50th Bronco Anniversary!! ;D;D

I'll volunteer to drive the Ambulance, or the F100, or even the Van!!

We've got 5 years to do this, let's get going!!!

That is a pretty cool idea!

Glad to see that you finally got the truck. Good luck with it!

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
We have four of the 10 X 15 Desert Dogs, in nearly perfect condition (still has some of the little nubbies). Used twice, always stored inside, on wheels.

Let us know if you are interested?

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
We have four of the 10 X 15 Desert Dogs, in nearly perfect condition (still has some of the little nubbies). Used twice, always stored inside, on wheels.

Let us know if you are interested?

JB, can you send me some pics?

Please send to: drew{at}earlybroncos{dot}com

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
I'm now looking for a 1977 Kawasaki KD175-A2 motorcycle which is what was used for the Balloon Chase (or maybe a pair like they had, I already have cycle mounts on each running board of the Volvo).

I did some searching and ran across very few. I have seen some of these vintage dirt bikes in super nice condition sell very reasonably, and that is what I am looking for. I do not want to restore these too!

I saw a like-new one on Youtube that a guy got for $450! I wish I had found that one!

The 1977 model has a silver tank and black fenders. If any of you have one, know of one, or see one for sale, please let me know.

Most interested in any on the east coast to try to avoid shipping since that would likely cost nearly as much as the bike. However, for the right deal on a super clean one, I'd consider shipping as well.

JB Fab

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
JB, can you send me some pics?

Please send to: drew{at}earlybroncos{dot}com

Drew, sorry for the delay, I had to pull them off the top rack and hose the dust off of them. The pictures will be in your email box directly....

Cheers,
Jon

OP
OP
Broncitis

Broncitis

MEB Founder
Drew, sorry for the delay, I had to pull them off the top rack and hose the dust off of them. The pictures will be in your email box directly....

Cheers,
Jon

Jon,

Pics did not come through.

I PM's you another email addy to try.

Thanks,
Drew

muskrat

Bronco Guru
Great find Drew. They look great together. Nice garage by the way!

jduffent

Sponsor/Vendor
Hey Drew,

I'm 98% sure that cover was on the Ambulance when we got it. (Oops didn't keep reading thread and see Andrew's response) AND Gary, I don't know who you would find that would be crazy enough to take up a 39 year old balloon if it even still exists?! The road trip idea would be epic!

Suzy

In one of these old pics I have seen a cover/bag with cables that was used to store the balloon. We got that with the Ambulance, it was stashed in the back while store at Stroppe's and went with it when Willie sold the Ambulance to Duff's in 98. We thought that is what it might have been but were unsure (actually thought it might be a cover for the gondola).

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Hey Drew,

I'm 98% sure that cover was on the Ambulance when we got it. (Oops didn't keep reading thread and see Andrew's response) AND Gary, I don't know who you would find that would be crazy enough to take up a 39 year old balloon if it even still exists?! The road trip idea would be epic!

Suzy

I'm thinking we either use a new balloon or just follow the path (with diversions to scheduled Bronco events) and carry the old balloon for display. What a cool way to celebrate the 50th!!

nhopman

I'm thinking we either use a new balloon or just follow the path (with diversions to scheduled Bronco events) and carry the old balloon for display. What a cool way to celebrate the 50th!!

I'm thinking have a new balloon made into the shape of an EB.

Nick