• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame off BP 306 Build Questions

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
You have to run a 96-01 explorer timing chain cover so the explorer water pump will bolt up. I upgraded the water pump to a flow kooler.
It was my preference to get rid of the explorer pump cause I’m not a fan of the resevoir tank and liked the idea of everything being more compact and clean. I posted two videos of it first fire and then first drive under What have you done to your Bronco today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice I will have to look them up. I want to hear how it sounds.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
That’s the fuel
Pump unbolt and remove the two
Round circles then bolt it back up you don’t need it

Are they bolt housings? If you grind them off will it leave you with a hole in the timing chain cover? Sorry just a bit confused. Does anybody have a picture of them taken off?

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
:p
Are they bolt housings? If you grind them off will it leave you with a hole in the timing chain cover? Sorry just a bit confused. Does anybody have a picture of them taken off?

It is the eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump.
You do not need it anymore.
Remove it. Reinstall bolt.
Then you'll have room for the thinner Explorer timing chain cover.

ngsd

Bronco Guru
Does Blueprint offer the 306 with the explorer timing cover? It was a hige waste of time and money on a new motor to have to drop the pan, get new gaskets and do it all over again. If they do I would recommend it highly! Done but half a day wasted. Which upper rad hose housing are you using?

Jaybr

Contributor
Does Blueprint offer the 306 with the explorer timing cover? It was a hige waste of time and money on a new motor to have to drop the pan, get new gaskets and do it all over again. If they do I would recommend it highly! Done but half a day wasted. Which upper rad hose housing are you using?

No they do not, I asked when I purchased mine. They do offer a reverse rotation cover but it would stick out further than the explorer setup. They said they don’t stock the explorer cover.

I bet if you sent them an explorer cover and water pump they would use it in your build.

Last edited:

Calibronc66

Gates 21736 for the top I’m using the champion radiator. The bottom I had to use a 01 Ford super duty and cut it way down. The top had a little trimming.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru

That's one reason that I balk at these crate engines - you have to tear a bunch of new/freshly assembled stuff off of them just to get them to the configuration that you want!

Todd Z.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
:p

It is the eccentric for a mechanical fuel pump.
You do not need it anymore.
Remove it. Reinstall bolt.
Then you'll have room for the thinner Explorer timing chain cover.

Oh got it. I was so confused, I was looking at the wrong thing. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor

Haven't gotten that far yet. I would love to get some feedback on what to use from guys who have already done it.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
No they do not, I asked when I purchased mine. They do offer a reverse rotation cover but it would stick out further than the explorer setup. They said they don’t stock the explorer cover.

I bet if you sent them an explorer cover and water pump they would use it in your build.

That's not a bad idea. I am going to call on Monday and see what's up. I will report back.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
That's one reason that I balk at these crate engines - you have to tear a bunch of new/freshly assembled stuff off of them just to get them to the configuration that you want!

Todd Z.

You know Im starting to realize that. I have gotten some quotes from different shops in my area to rebuild my Explorer 5.0 and they all said expect from 6-9k. More if you want a performance build that will get anywhere near the performance of the BP306. Also I have some reservations about using a shop I have not worked with before. Would hate to spend all that money on a rebuild and run into issues and not know if the shop will stand behind their build. I have heard and researched great stories about BP's great costumer service. So I will still probably go through with the BP306 build.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
With the Champion reverse inlet/outlet radiator I used a Fox Body upper and an eb lower hose.
The Mustang Fox Body upper hose was a little long. Trimmed the rad side a few inches and it fit perfect.
The stock eb lower hose was simply flipped in the other direction to fit. It was also a little long in this configuration. A little trimming and it was perfect too. Real tight between the lower hose and the power steering box.

Highly recommend the Champion aluninum reverse inlet/outlets radiator. Only paid I think....$156 bucks for it on Ebay. Initially just for mock-up but it has been great for years now. Even numerous trips to Supercel in Tenn from Orlando, Florida.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Regarding removing the fuel pump eccentric, do some engines require a shorter bolt? Or does the stock one still work to hold the gear in place without bottoming out on something?

Paul

Calibronc66

I used the same bolt in my bp 306 with no problem

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
Regarding removing the fuel pump eccentric, do some engines require a shorter bolt? Or does the stock one still work to hold the gear in place without bottoming out on something?

Paul

I grabbed a slightly shorter bolt but only because I had a bucket of various ARP nuts and bolts sitting right there.

But the concern would only be overcoming the thickness of the eccentric. So I bet stock would be fine.

OP
OP
N

NickC24

Contributor
I have the 306 bp motor also just took it for a drive for the first time. What I did on the serpentine was use wild horses explorer crank pulley with the dampener that came with the motor. Then I wasn’t a fan of the explorer power steering setup so I used wild horses explorer Saginaw power steering bracket. Had to use a bigger spacer on it thinking due to the aluminum heads. O and I had to switch out the timing cover I’m sure if I would have thought about it blueprint would have installed
It . Here’s a pic I had them paint mine black and swapped the valve covers.
99320078f75d21309ab30500aab3e197.jpg

Did they charge you more to go black instead of the Ford Blue?

Calibronc66

No extra charge for black, but when it was done they had painted it blue and I caught it before they shipped it. Ended up giving me $400 off and making another motor took an additional two weeks but I was in no rush.

hammer189

Loc.
South Atlanta
If you want to run a Saginaw power steering pump, use the WH 1 peice bracket.
The pump and pulley are on a singe mounting surface. Fixed all my alignment problems. I am using it without AC.
https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/19201/EXPLORER5ENGINEPARTS

If you are not going to have your Sniper run your timing there are 2 cool distributor options.
I'm runnin the MSD digital e-curve distributor. All computerized. Programmable timing curves set using dial settings inside the distributor cap.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-8503

Just found this distributor last week. Computer programmable. Tune using your smart phone with bluetooth connectivity. Can adjust tune while the engine is running! I believe you can also alter specific points along the timing curve.
https://progressionignition.com/

That looks like a great engine.

I'm running a 96' explorer rebuilt with a better cam and FiTech EFI.
31" tires, nv3550m5 speed and 4.56 gears.
Probably should of run 4.11 gears.
Good luck, David

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey David. I have the 31's, 4.56's and overdrive too. With my original engine it was probably the perfect gear/tire combo. With this super-puller (stock) Explorer engine being so finely tuned compared to the old stuff, I know I could easily pull the 4.11 and maybe gain a few mpg's out on the open highway.

If I was forced to stay with this combo I would not complain. But I also happen to have a 4.11 3'rd member already set up and waiting to get installed.
So I'll let you know if it's a good combo worth shooting for in the future.
Pretty sure it's going to be a good match though.

Paul