• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frame off restoration

bbayliss

I am asking this question for everybody. I am about to pull my tub off of the frame, I want to know what everyone has done or wish they had done. As far as sandblast it, acid dip it, wire wheel it. My tub has a little bit of rust and i want to put a stop to it. I also want to stop the rust on my frame. I was also thinking about sending the frame to be sandblasted as a rolling frame. I also wanted to get an idea of prices for all this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bbayliss

Wow is that all? I figured more than that. Are you planning on doing anything to your frame? Any suggestions there.

Salgood

Loc.
Kalispell
I origianlly took the body off...proceeded to sand the whole frame myself and apply POR-15. If I could do it again...I would have had the whole frame professionally sandblasted....then applied the POR-15. There are spots where the paint did not take as I missed little areas...Overall it urned out great.

As far as the body goes I am having it sandblasted, primed and the whole thing coated with Speedliner.....black and yellow!!!

Attachments

• DSC01016.JPG
    DSC01016.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01021.JPG
    DSC01021.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 82
  • DSC01026.JPG
    DSC01026.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC01357.JPG
    DSC01357.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 77

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I am doing a complete build, we had alot to repair on the frame and tons of mods. My thread http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97476 has some pics.
Some things to do, inside of the frame, do whatever you can to clean and coat the inside, the new trend is to galvanize, I could not afford that so we used bedliner.
Another thing to do, the frame has 2 VINs stamped on it, make sure the 2 match and stamp or weld in hidden places something that is identifiable to you, not only on the frame but each piece you can, Should it ever become a victim of theft you can be sure to be able to identify it.

deltabronco

Bronco Guru
I am about to do a body off restoration as well. How hard is it to get the body off? Do you need a forklift or hoist?

frdbronco73

I used the forklift from my work but i lifted one side off the frame by hand just to see how heavy it was. i think 4 guys could get it off the frame. The only thing im doing to the frame is replace the lines and i replaced the seals in the axles and put on a 2.5" lift before it was sandblasted. but mine is going back to stock.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'm getting ready to send my tub to Blastmasters. I made a mistake with the last one years ago and tried to save a buck and chemically stripped it myself. What a mess. There were a bunch of small surface spots that I attacked with a wire wheel. It heats up and burnishes the surface which caused a bunch of ripples on the panells and doors.

Last edited:

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I am about to do a body off restoration as well. How hard is it to get the body off? Do you need a forklift or hoist?

Be sure to brace the body before you lift it or it will fold at the doors. I think there are plenty of threads about building the braces. just do a search for it.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
One is on top of the frame, about 6-12 inches behind the front passenger side shock mount, the second is about 2 feet behind that one, on top of the frame.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
For the frame, check into Hot Dip Galvanizing...you can do a search. You will need to do all of your frame mods, add ons, suspension changes prior to the HDG process. Welding onto Zinc-ed metal is not healthy. I have about $125 in initial sandblasting. A friend at the HDG plant got it done for very cheap, but should be in the $200-300 range for dipping. I would recommend having it powder coated afterward. I have had some adhesion problems with my paint system, even though it was prepped properly and an appropriate paitn system was used. Either way, the frame will not rust again...at least not for 20-40 years. The paint was only for aesthetics. All in all I have about $500 in getting the frame done, probably less, but that would be the normal price if you were a guy off the street (I am factoring in my travel costs--trailer rental, gas, etc--to transport it 2 states away to have it done).

Tub, paint and body:

I did all of my body/rust repair- which wasnt alot--much less than many/most--new front floors, some inner rocker and door post fixes. I then had it silica and or soda-blasted--depends on the individual part ($850 for tub, doors, hood, tailgate, grill and dash). Turned out beautiful. Keep in mind this was all done on a loaned rotisserie and yes, I did brace my doors.

Paint and Line-X: I will roll this into 1 cost. ...also, still on rotisserie-much easier to deal with. As I think it about evens out whether you paint the entire thing or go paint and Line-X. I had the paint shop prep, do the fine-fixes that I could not do-mostly metal work, very minimal filler, quench the entire lot with metal conditioner, etch-prime, paint (base coat/clear coat with Dupont Chroma Premier= lifetime warranty on finish and rust, since it was all done "right") the doors, hood, rear quarters, grill, dash. Then, it went to Line-X where they lined -in black- the entire underneath including rear wheel wells, the engine compartment from just below the hinge-mounts for the hood, the cowl and entire front clip, the inside from the break at the top of the dash down the entire inside of the tub out over the rockers to the bottom, up and over the bed rails. The tailgate lines match the bed and the liner coats the inside face of the tailgate around to the sunk-in face of the tailgate. The rear quarter matches this tailgate line, but only goes as high as the door on the rest of the rocker. They also Line-X ed my inner fenders on the fronts and the inside (removable) door panel inserts (front and back. It all looks fantastic. I have about $4400 in the paint and Line-X...which I think is pretty reasonable. This does not include any work on the hardtop...which I will do the same process with this fall...inside and out in black line-X...sound, rust and scratch protection. There are a myriad of unseen costs, expenses and headaches along the way...and these are not mentioned here. The numbers above are only the "sub-contracted amounts paid to the 3 shops (media blast, paint and line-x shops). I still have months of work to get this thing "finished" or at least back on the road. Whatever you think it will cost...multiply it by 2, take a deep breath--once you have your breath back, divide that number by 2 and then re-multiply by 3 and you will be close.

You asked!...just trying to give you an idea on what I thought was "doing it RIGHT". I could have spent more on the paint-work, but the shop I used is new, hungry and they really liked the product so they gave me a great deal on my per-hour labor rate, which save me about 20-25% alone. In reality there is no need to go too crazy on paint, where the Line-X will be covering it...you only have to make sure it is rust free and properly prepped for good adgesion. Lots of details to consider when Line-X-ing so much of the tub...lots of potential fitment issues. The work the paintshop did was/is fantastic...however it isnt 'show quality", but it has so far exceeded my expectations and would be darn close to that level of qual. Besides, this will be a GO pony, not a SHOW pony. Hopefully, I can keep it ding and dent free for at least a year...yeah right.

HTH!

Last edited:

deltarat

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Drew,Ms
I had the paint shop prep, do the fine-fixes that I could not do-mostly metal work, very minimal filler, quench the entire lot with metal conditioner, etch-prime, paint (base coat/clear coat with Dupont Chroma Premier= lifetime warranty on finish and rust, since it was all done "right")

Did they give you a lifetime warranty, or is it something you expect from doing it right?

I don't think that is a bad price for what you had done.

Do you have any pictures of the linex? I am thinking of doing mine the same way and would love to see how it will look.

thesnake

Bronco Guru
I'm blasting the frame myself, then hitting it with por-15, then a topcoat. Body wise, (if I'm lucky) I'm planning on fixing rust/priming/paint and line-x. I'm planning the line-x for the firewall to tailgate/undercarriage and engine compartment. (Of course sticker shock could cut that down a bit lol). If I don't line-x the undercarriage/engine compartment, I believe I'll use POR and then topcoat it with durabak smooth. I had my dash done in line-x, rap your knuckles across it and pull back some bloody, battered knuckles...lol

John

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
I had the paint shop prep, do the fine-fixes that I could not do-mostly metal work, very minimal filler, quench the entire lot with metal conditioner, etch-prime, paint (base coat/clear coat with Dupont Chroma Premier= lifetime warranty on finish and rust, since it was all done "right")

Did they give you a lifetime warranty, or is it something you expect from doing it right?

I don't think that is a bad price for what you had done.

Do you have any pictures of the linex? I am thinking of doing mine the same way and would love to see how it will look.

NO, they (and DuPont) warranty the finish for the "life" of the vehicle from materials failure, prep, etc. Since, it was entirely rust free and they did all the "prep" on clean, bare steal...they extended a guarantee on corrosion, prep and the finish, since that was their purpose. They cant give that to every 30+ yr old truck that comes in b/c not all trucks were taken all the way down to where it could be defiitively determined that there is 'no rust'. I dont expect to ever have to use the warranty, unless the finish fades or cracks...which I anticipate it wont. I have had several experiences with paint/body shops over my 13 yrs of Bronco ownership and these guys are awesome. I saw it every couple of days along the way and the work was all on the up and up. Like I said before, they were excited about this project. They asked about the possibility of getting some "finished" pics made and perhaps having me (the truck) come out to a few exhibitions down the road...they are still getting established. I believe they will do well.