• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fried Starter? Replacement Help

dsenatore

Contributor
Loc.
East Walpole
So the cable on my relay/solenoid to the starter played smoochy with the fins on the alternator which wore through the coating and ate 3/4 of the cable. It remained in contact with the alternator so when the kids tried to start it, they said it made some clicky noise then nothing. I swapped in a spare relay and new cable and still have nothing. I do have power to lights and gauges etc... I will test for power to the starter when I get home.

I have a mid '80's carbureted 302, C4 auto w/50oz flexplate and corresponding harmonic balancer in my '76. I don't know the teeth count on the flywheel. How do I go about sourcing an off the shelf, smaller, modern high-torque starter? I ordered one last year but it ended up being for the stock setup and didn't mesh nice-like with the flexplate. %)
TIA,
David

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
First, make sure you're getting power to the small S wire on the starter relay because you need to know if it's another issue, OR if your new starter relay is the actual problem now.
Problems are so prevalent as I'm sure you've read here, that putting a new one in is your last resort.

But because it's a 40+ year old vehicle now, the "coincidental issue" problem crops up more often than we'd like. In other words, you might have lost your starter cable to the alternator (that cable was way too long!) but now your Neutral Safety Switch or wiring may have decided it was time to give you some grief too.

For the modern PMGR starter, just don't use a Mustang as your source at the stores. Some Mustangs used the same number starter whether they had an auto or a manual trans, and it's not always compatible.
Use a mid-'90's Bronco with auto trans to match your C4. In theory that should work. has for most of us, but not always all. Yeah, you know how it goes...%)

The tooth count should not matter because the bell housing should line up the flywheel's ring gear with the starter. Again, in theory.
If your starter is out, take it with you to the store to match up the nose cones and the initial location of the drive gear in the cone. The autos and manuals have a different depth in that regard.

Anyway, good luck finding where the power stops. You can also test the new relay by jumping between the main battery lug and the small S stud with the Red w/blue wire on it. Be ready to jump out of your skin just in case the starter spins!
For that reason make doubly sure the shift lever is all the way in Park too.

Paul

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Check the fuses in the fuse box and check the fusable link on the starter solenoid. Are you running the old style stock Bronco starter or the permant magnet modern starter.

Are you running points or some other electronic ignition. Turn the key on and check for any voltage at the coil just do a quick check do not leave the key on. I would check for starting while wiggeling the shift lever. When all else fails smak the end of the starter with a hamer. Give it a couple of good raps. Dont beat on it. Then try to start it.

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, and make sure you are in Park or neutral. The quick test is to use a heavy screwdriver or remote starter switch from the little s post on the solenoid to the big battery cable post (from the battery). Jumping thee two posts should spin the starter. Good luck

OP
OP
D

dsenatore

Contributor
Loc.
East Walpole
Thanks guys. Running around and getting to this when I can. Got a new relay under warranty and installed the new cable. Won't start when I turn the key but did when I jumped the starter. What's the best course of action to troubleshoot the ignition system? I'm running the Duraspark electronic ignition.
Cheers,
David

B RON CO

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Statesville, NC
Hi, it could be the neutral switch, but the first thing I would check is unplug the small wire on the solenoid s post. That wire should be hot when a helper turns the key to start.
Why are you asking about the ignition system?
Isn't the problem with the starting system, or are the more problems? Good luck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Got a new relay under warranty and installed the new cable.

Remember that the new parts, no matter how often they are replaced, are STILL suspect until proven otherwise.
And the new cable in this case was the starter cable as mentioned before? Or a second new one?

Won't start when I turn the key but did when I jumped the starter.

Just to be clear, which way did you jump the starter? Did you bypass the relay completely by using a heavy duty jumper from the battery directly to the starter? Or did you jump the battery to the small S post on the relay and it worked?
If the small post, then the relay, the starter cable, and the starter motor all seem to be working. That leaves not getting power to the S wire from the key.

What's the best course of action to troubleshoot the ignition system? I'm running the Duraspark electronic ignition.

Same question as B RON CO. Is there another issue now with the ignition system? Are you saying that when you jumped the starter and got the engine to turn over, you had the ignition switch in the ON position and the engine cranked, but did not start?
If so, that's a whole 'nother set of tests.

Paul

OP
OP
D

dsenatore

Contributor
Loc.
East Walpole
Paul, Rustytruck & B Ron Co,
Thanks for the input. I mentioned ignition system but should have said starting system. I agreed that the symptoms seemed consistent with the NSS so that was the first place I checked. I traced the wires and when I got to the harness plug it separated when I moved it. Plugged it back in and she fired up. Another quirky coincidence, eh?
I appreciate your help, glad to report a happy ending!
Best,
David

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... As much as I know about replacing parts ...'' Having had my parts store from 67 until 1995.'' ..
... I'm still amazed at how several of the Gurus on here know so much about which text you need to know to fix these problems. Once again I read all these post still trying to learn anything to wire a Bronco . or one of the other 97 rides on the farm.
... Thanks to the Gurus who reexplain it over & over . IT'S What makes this Sight so Great compared to others .