• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front Axle Help

Torkman66

Contributor
I have a 1972 that I am restoring and the Dana 44 is toast. It has no internals and the cover was left off in the weather so inside case is very rusty. Worse part is it has no bearing caps. The bearing surface inside the housing is very rusty. So, don't think machining can even bring this back to life.

I have been looking everywhere for another Dana 44. Lots of 44s but nothing for the Bronco. I plan on a complete rebuild. However, I CANNOT locate a donor 44!

Question: What other axle options should I consider or look for? What mods can be made to non-Bronco axles that make them usable? Thanks.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
Stick with a Dana 44 unless you're going to wheel hard then go bigger. There's usually quite a few D44 in the classifieds here and on FB market Place.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Keep eyes on FS section here, D44 can pop up on ocassion
Post up in the parts wanted section as well Guarantee someone has something they can donate or make a reasonable price on

@muddford you could sell one :D