• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front axle ring gear and pinion help

Rusty37233

Loc.
Logar Afghnistan
Hey guys, I bought this 77 sight unseen while I was deployed. The seller was upfront and told me the front drive shaft wasn't connected. Well, I finally got a chance to get under it and found the pinion gear was just flopping around inside the carrier. I opened it up and found the front inner bearing missing. To get to the point I went and bought all new bearings and was putting it back together but the pinion shaft is about an inch too short. All the bearing and races are seated but the shaft isn't even long enough for me to get close to starting the pinion nut. Do pinion gears come in different shaft lengths? Or am I doing something stupid. Any help I would be grateful for.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Seller wasn't completely up front. Sounds like it's not even the correct gear set. I'd be real suspicious of the entire housing. In any case, you can't just slap a ring and pinion in. It's not too difficult, but it must be done to spec, i.e. Within .001".

EB70

Contributor
Did he throw some Dana 30 gears in a 44 housing or some off-breed 44 set up? I just did a 44 gear set up this week and I don't see how that could happen with the correct parts.

OP
OP
R

Rusty37233

Loc.
Logar Afghnistan
Well, I can't blame the seller, he actually didn't want to sell it to me with out me seeing it first. The price was right and I was 8000 miles away from Louisiana. so I take responsibility.
I was just wondering if the pinion shafts came in different lengths. I don't know much about differentials. I know someone was in the case because there was no gasket just RTV. Then again it could just be me doing something wrong. The truck drives well and the only rust are the inner fenders and drivers rocker. every light works inside and out and it still has the original radio. Either I will figure it out or the differential shop will. Thanks for the reply.

NicksTrix

Bronco Guru
sounds like it needs a fresh R&p and carrier. might want to check the back and see what you have for ratio. if it's stock and you are ok with staying that way i'm sure you could find a take out someone has easy enough and have someone set it up for you.
what ever you have in the front now doesn't belong there.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Somebody probably trying to put Dana 30 parts inside a Dana 44 housing.

OP
OP
R

Rusty37233

Loc.
Logar Afghnistan
Wow, I'm going to fess up to something that makes me look and feel like an idiot. I went back and figured out what the issue was I thought I had the inner bearing pressed all the way on, when in reality what I did was press it up to the inner race of what was left of the original bearing. Sorry for bothering you guys, but I've never been in a differential before.
Hope this doesn't get me kicked out of the forum. Thanks again

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
No bother Rusty. This is all good info for us too. You're not the only one who will be setting up a diff for the first time I'm sure. Just shows things to watch for.

Congrats on the Bronco as well! And welcome to ClassicBroncos to top that off!
Not to mention welcome back from wherever you were.

The 77's are a great year for most things. And rust free (or even low-rust) is a big bonus these days. Can't wait to see pics of this thing when you get the chance.

Paul