• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front disc conversion

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
Since my front end is in parts on the floor in the garage I figured that I might as well do the disc conversion. I am having some issues:
several places say I can use the original spindles and other say I need the chevy spindles. If I use the original spindles I just need to grind a little off so they do not rub? Well I have looked at all the tech articles and everything I can find on numersous EB and ford forums and short of buying the kit for about double the money I am confused? Any assistance would be greatly apperciated. JP

7elk

Loc.
Albuquerque
The chevy conversion is very popular but I prefer to use Ford parts on a Fotd. The conversions I have done were with disc from a '78-79 F150 Dana 44. If you are working on a Dana 30, they won't interchange. The chevy conversion works on both a Dana 30 or 44, I am told.

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
For the chevy conversion you either need the chevy spindles or have the stock spindles machined. I don't think it's a "little" bit of grinding to make the stock spindles work.
You can find the chevy spindles at a junkyard or about $80 each new at one of the vendors.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
There is no spindle grinding needed on anything. Stock spindles don't work with the disks because the sindles are too short. The D44 chevy spindles are longer. There was a member here that custom made spacers to allow you to use the stock spindles. Do a search.

Grinding is sometimes required between the knuckle and the chevy caliper. If the caliper contacts the knuckle your brake won't work right.

Did the search for you: http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122546

Last edited:

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Stock spindles don't work with the disks because the sindles are too short.

I finally get to disagree with VW. I am running stock bronco spindles with no modifications, rotors from a 79 Bronco, Chebby backing plates and calipers. Got 6000 miles on the set up and zero issues.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I finally get to disagree with VW. I am running stock bronco spindles with no modifications, rotors from a 79 Bronco, Chebby backing plates and calipers. Got 6000 miles on the set up and zero issues.

I'd like to see some pics of those parts.

Revelation

Bronco Guru
Actually they are from an 82 Blazer, but I think it would be the same for an 83. As you said, no dust shield, which seems to be a smart move as I have had no issues with brake dust build up on the rims, as I see on many with a dust shield.

fmcpeters

I used the original ford spindles, the spacer they talk about is nothing more then a grade 8 washer with the inside turned out a little. The purpose is to push this disk out a bit so it doesn't rub on the holder. With the shorter spindle you probably wont be able to put the clip in that holds your inner wheel lock on, to solve that problem you simply but a bolt into the end of the axle shaft, it should be machined forget what size bolt it was. I did this conversion and have had no issues at all.

OP
OP
S

socofn

Loc.
Pueblo
Thanks to everyone for the info. I have searched numerous times and find something different each time. I figured out after I posted this and read the comments that maybe I asked the wrong question (it was 0300, and I was half asleep from trying to find the end of the EB internet), do I need chevy knuckles? Sorry for the confusion. Thanks in advance. JP:-[