• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front end 1977

BroncoBlake

What goes on first? Spindle or anchor plate? Looks like spindle is drove or pressed into anchor plate the that assembly is installed. Is this correct?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure it’s the caliper mounting plate first. If you look at the spindle I think you will see that the register is too long to go first. It would stick in too far and jam up the axle shaft.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That is for the Ford brakes of course.
Assuming your 77 still has the original disc brakes, that’s how it would work. A GM conversion works the opposite if I remember.

And you should be sure what type you have if you are not already. It doesn’t happen often, but we have run into 76 and 77 Broncos that have been swapped.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Oh, and I don’t remember the caliper bracket being much of a press fit with the spindle.
If it’s really tight you might consider making sure there’s no rust buildup on the inside.
While a good solid fit, I’ve always been able to spin it and take them off by hand.

OP
OP
B

BroncoBlake

Oh, and I don’t remember the caliper bracket being much of a press fit with the spindle.
If it’s really tight you might consider making sure there’s no rust buildup on the inside.
While a good solid fit, I’ve always been able to spin it and take them off by hand.
Thanks so much ! I appreciate your insight

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
After cleaning you can use grease or anti-seize to promote easier removal the next time. First time can be a real bear!
I typically paint the flange area too, just to keep rust down a bit and less creep into the machined areas where it can do it's mischief.
Hence the grease recommendation, since even a thin layer of paint might make installing a little harder.
The spindle is a pretty tight fit into the knuckle, so it acts as both a lube and a rust reducer.

paul