• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front end uneven.....

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I have a hunch that your rear shock upper mount is better approximated as a uniformly loaded cantilever beam in bending. The bending moment would account for the majority of any deflection, and the combined stress of shear and bending (Mohr’s circle) must be considered in any strength analysis. So it is not loaded in single shear…But yeah, I knew what you meant.

Also the 1986-1997 F350 Monobeam axle uses a very different length of Trac bar vs drag link. So “late model” is a curious choice of words. Your suspension geometry approximates the ideal condition vastly better than most any live axle implementation. So I wouldn’t use the OEM as my benchmark! Thanks for taking the time to post. Love to hear it as always. All I need now is a campfire and a beer…
Ha. "Late model" is indeed not the best choice of words. I'm not terribly interested in late model anything as far as manufacturer, I just tend to look at stuff like the suspensions underneath. Oh yeah, was that a Ford? Oh wait, no, that was a Dodge. What ever. I'm sure you know what I mean.

And funny you should mention Mohr's circle. Somewhere I have the notes, in a notebook that may have been lost due to moving, divorce, moving, etc, of just that for my rear shock mounts. From back when I could remember how to do that sort of calculation. Can't prove a negative, but they haven't failed yet after more than a bunch of moons. And really, they aren't that much different than the OEM rear shock mounts except they face in the opposite direction, which means a bunch of other compromises.

Which would indeed require a campfire and a beer to discuss. Perhaps several of both. Just need to get this damn RV-4 flying and out of my life (hijacks thread).

i-xCW7sLG-XL.jpg