• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

front end vibration

natureboy300

Loc.
livermore
Hey guys,
been a while since ive been on. Been working 2 jobs for far too long and now its deer season, so time is at a premium ;D . Hope everyone is good and well.
I had done quite a bit of work to the Bronco a few months back. I put in a WH 3.5" lift, a track-bar riser bracket, front disc brakes, and bullet proof steering. Before all that I had symptoms that resembled the death wobble, and found that to be a wasted drag link where it connects into the tie rod. I had some Rancho or super lift front springs in there before that were stiff as hell. The bronco drives like a dream now other than at about 50 miles per hour the front end starts to vibrate, and the faster I go the worse it gets, to the point where the steering column is shaking a bit. When I did the brake conversion I put in all new wheel bearings, and have rechecked them since. I had all the tires rebalanced, and a front end alignment done so I could get the actual readings and see how close everything still was. Everything is within specs other than the castor, which was a little on the low side. I wouldnt think that would cause it but I may be wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

NB

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
If its just a vibration up and down and your not feeling it in the steering it could be a tire. Switch your front and back tires and see if it changes. If it is side to side in your steering wheel check your track bar bushings.

Skiddy

Bronco Guru
Another thing you might check are the ball joints.
btw where is it deer season at?

OP
OP
N

natureboy300

Loc.
livermore
Im in central CA. our first rifle season just opened.
I do feel it in the steering wheel. I guess maybe my description was a little off, I took it for a ride today and its more of a light shake that gets worse with speed, the steering column will start to shake a bit at around 60 MPH or so, and feels like a vibration starting at about 50 MPH. I am going to run a steering stabilzer with the bullet proof to see if it helps. Thanks for the input guys.

NB

jmaples

Loc.
SEATTLE,
Front end Vibration

natureboy300 said:
Im in central CA. our first rifle season just opened.
I do feel it in the steering wheel. I guess maybe my description was a little off, I took it for a ride today and its more of a light shake that gets worse with speed, the steering column will start to shake a bit at around 60 MPH or so, and feels like a vibration starting at about 50 MPH. I am going to run a steering stabilzer with the bullet proof to see if it helps. Thanks for the input guys.

NB

Make sure you check all the obvious things, Steering box bolts, trac bar bots and bushings, (the previous had both been culprits for me in the past), I don't run a steering stabalizer and it just seems like it will be hiding the problem.

OP
OP
N

natureboy300

Loc.
livermore
I had the tires rebalanced, and it still had it. I then put the rear tires on the front and it was still there. I have been under the front of the bronco with someone turning the wheel and can see nothing that is loose, The track bar is from bullet proof steering and thus no more bushings to wear out. Am I correct in assuming that having castor readings lower than specd would not cause this?

Thanks
NB

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
The castor should not cause a vibration it would only make the steering a little jumpy and you would not feel it returning to center.
How bad is the vibration could it be that you have a hub engaged. It sounds like you just did a disc brake conversion a spindle or bearing could be loose or perhaps a hub did not go back together right and it is always engaged. Lift the front up and spin a wheel to confirm the axle is still not spinning inside the knuckle.