• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front speaker

Newellt3

I am looking at replacing the front factory speaker and add additional speakers. Has anyone replaced the factory speaker? Any ideas on other speaker replacement? Thanks

bteutsch

A guy I work with is re-coning my original speaker.. I'm interested in what you find out though..

rjrobin2002

Bronco Guru
I think a 6" would fit in that hole but i hav never had a bronco with a speaker still there. I learned the hard way not to buy anything too nice as my original stereo was stolen while i was at work, i was just glad my doors were unlocked and they did not damage my paint while they entered and jacked my 6x9s.

nathan_1970

I’m in a similar boat. I just bought an original radio off of another member on here, and he sent the speaker also. The speaker is in very rough shape, but just even having one no matter the shape answers a lot of questions I had and gives me ideas for how to replace it. Attached are some measurements, if they help, of the original speaker. Because of the camera perspective, the measurements may look a little odd (at the widest point it is 5 1/4 inches), but you can get the exact bolt hole offsets from the dash and use this as a reference guide.

I am very interested to see what you come up with and how it works.

Attachments

• speaker 1.jpeg
    speaker 1.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 94
  • speaker 2.jpeg
    speaker 2.jpeg
    96.9 KB · Views: 100

landshark99

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Montrose, Colorado
I replaced the original speaker with one from Walmart of all places. The original is 5.25"" - I was more concerned about the fitment rather than the sound quality but all in all it sounds and looks great.

you can check out the new one I installed here from my build thread.

http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2162068&postcount=129

Here is the speaker I used... it was $8 :)

Boss Audio 60-Watt 5.25" Dual Cone Replacement Speaker (One Speaker)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Boss-60-Watt-5.25-Dual-Cone-Replacement-Speaker/11968793

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
... I've had speakers everywhere I could think to put them. None until the last suited me. Now you may have a sweet Bronco and my speaker tray I don't think you'd want But if you use your Bronco & it's say Custom. Then I think I have the best one yet.
..I put a tray up at the roof Now mine goes from door top to door top . I got a piece of 14ga sheet steal & had a 3/4 lip bent on it . I wish I'd have just a 1/2 lip . Then I got a piece of card board an made a pattern. Placed the pattern around wiper motor & arms . Then shaped to fit the curve but not touch so there wouldn't be a squeak or chirp. I think I could hang my weight from it . I put a piece of insulation to Keep my gun from sliding so bad. ..
.... Then I got over in both top corners cut 2 4inch hole & put in some Pioneer 4 inch good speaker in & Wow I can hear my tunes over the 4BT Diesel.
... I also have a pair in the back of my console between the seats. These are now better with my top speakers.

Attachments

• P1010002 10.jpg
    P1010002 10.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 203
  • P1010003 13.jpg
    P1010003 13.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 195
  • P1010004 4.jpg
    P1010004 4.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 190
  • P1010005 9.jpg
    P1010005 9.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:

scottbr997

Loc.
Bend, OR
I just put a 5.25 in the front dash location on my 73. Nothing great but I'm using the stock AM radio. I plan to to keep it original. I reused the original speaker cover. Sounds okay.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
i made a fiberglass speaker pod that fits under the dash on top of the hump. Fits 2 5 1/4" speakers and sounds great. Im gona pull it soon and make a new one to hold my radio on top of the speakers as well, that way I can put my CB back in the dash where I used to have it, and use a 5 1/4" speaker in the factory location for a external CB speaker.

Bronco DLight

Loc.
Houston, TX - CB, CO
what are you gonna do with your old box?

Hey BKN Bronco. What are you going to do with your old box? I'm about to try to build exactly what you mentioned to hold (2) 5.25" speakers under the dash on the hump. If you are replacing yours, would you be interested in selling your current one?

JustinFro

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
I used 5.25" Kicker speakers (can be found at Wally-world). Since, I don't have the stock gauge cluster, I just had another hole cut on the driver side of the steering wheel. The I just covered both speakers (used stock bolt holes) with covers made for a 18-wheeler cab.

I'll shoot pics tonight and post up for you.

JustinFro

Loc.
Tulsa, OK
Still a work in process...

umyqyme4.jpg

71 Red Bronco

Original Radio Front Speaker

If you are using an original radio you should use a 8 ohm speaker. Most speakers sold today are 4 ohm. A 4 ohm speaker may overheat and damage an original radio. If its a newer radio a 4 ohm is fine. The right size is 5 1/4". I bought one from these guys and it was a correct replacement for the original speaker.

http://www.turnswitch.com/speakers.htm