• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Front spool??

edones06

Im thanking of a spool for my d 44. im running one in the rear already. I no most ppl run lockers in the front but with the rear spool I already have to power thu the corners. So the locker would be locked up most of the time anyways. I like the durability and simplicity of a full spool. But any body thank its a bad ideal? Im already runnin chrome molys and will be installing hydro assist in the next week or so

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Welcome
Very bad idea if you plan on making turns. Its ok for straight line stuff but spools well never unlock at least with a locker it can unlock.. Fully spooled you'll be breaking stuff. hydro assist will make it even worse. While it can be done I dont think I know anyone that does it unless they running in the mud or sand drags and even then

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
A 44 and a spool don't mix. Not sure what your budget is but a selectable locker is best. If you can't swing that then do a Detroit or a lunchbox locker. Your axle shafts will thank you for it.

As said, a rig with a locker is a lot easier to maneuver and make turns with.

treihesse

Bronco Guru
If you want to run a front spool you will need a selectable locker in the rear to disengage the bind up. That said a hydro setup is really a good ideal as well as a dana 60 or other high strength axle. I've seen guys going to a selectable in the rear and a spool or Detroit up front and it works good because you get rid of the plowing effect with the rear pushing the front tires thru turns. The biggest reason it's a bitch to turn is the front and rear lockers are fighting each other

OP
OP
edones06

edones06

I understand that a locker would unlock in the turns. but with my rear spool I power thu the turns anyways. So wouldn't the locker stay locked up? I just dont see spending 800 bucks for a locker that's gonna act just like a 200$ spool. But sum times I have a hard time finding the forest thu all the trees. LOL I was just making shore I wasn't missing the point. but for just crusing the trails when I don't need the front locked cant I just run one hub unlocked? I don't have a problem getting out and locking it when I need it. thanks for the help guys

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Spooled front = driving in straight lines. It's amazing to see a fully locked rig with the tires turned to full lock going in a straight line. Front spool is a bad idea for anything outside of straight line racing. I understand your thought that you can just power through and spin tires, but that just doesn't happen that way.

DJs74

Bronco Guru
I agree with the others on no spool for the front axle. It would be awfully hard on your front components to have both axles locked together permanently. I have considerable years of sand/mud racing experience and spools are a popular choice but that's on a trailered racer and I've seen guys pop a front axle u-joint just maneuvering around in the pits. To be honest, I'm not even a big fan of a spooled rear for street use from a handling standpoint- nothing worse than taking a hard left or right turn on a wet road and the spool tries to push your vehicle straight ahead. In a nutshell and IMO, I think spools are best utilized for strictly off road / competition applications and if used on the street... Proceed with caution

Of course, this is just my opinion

DJs74

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
For $800 you're really close to a selectable locker. $200 is close to a lunchbox locker. They do engage under power when one side is turning slower than the other but they are worlds better than a spool. I had a trail rig with a spooled rear, lunchbox front, and hydro assist. It worked well.

dao1980

Loc.
Chattanooga
I wouldn't spool a front 44 with a V8 sitting over it.

As others have said, turning while in 4x4 on tight trails will be hindered greatly.
Even with a twin stick to release the front end at the transfer case, it won't be very cooperative.
And of course, that 44 wouldn't like to be constantly bound up with a V8 sitting above it calling out marching orders.

aqua_wonder

After grenading a trutrac I installed a full spool in a 79 F150 D44. I usually locked one hub with the other unlocked. With the transfer case in 4H the truck pulled in the direction of the locked hub. It was a struggle driving in the snow on the street in 4H. Never had any real issues offroad with steering or binding.

malonejy

Bronco Guru
You need to go find someone with a selectable locker up front and spool/selectable in the rear and try and drive it with both locked up. If you were closer, you could drive mine. It won't be fun (at least the turning part).

OP
OP
edones06

edones06

Well with that being said, whats yalls thoughts on the Yukon grizzly locker? im all ready running there axles and am very pleased with them. im thanking thay were a little cheaper than a Detroit

xcntrk

Bronco Guru
Loc.
NOVA
You need to go find someone with a selectable locker up front and spool/selectable in the rear and try and drive it with both locked up. If you were closer, you could drive mine. It won't be fun (at least the turning part).

I second this point. I have a selectable electric locker in the front. When it's off full open diff, when it's on 100% lock-up (same as spool). There is zero turning when it's engaged. I can't even get my power steering pump to turn the wheels, traction and binding over-power my PS pump :eek:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Well with that being said, whats yalls thoughts on the Yukon grizzly locker? im all ready running there axles and am very pleased with them. im thanking thay were a little cheaper than a Detroit

I don't recall anything bad about them. I ran a lock-rite in my front for years (and a few U-joints). It was suppose to be temporary until I got a selectable. Never got the selectable. The Detroit version has a few reports of damage when a U-joint lets loose under load, but have only heard that about the Detroit locker for a Dana 44 specifically.

GRN_MEANIE

Full spooled is fine if your hubs are unlocked. It'll work with hubs locked if you have good hydro assist. Now that I know the difference I wouldn't run it without full hydro. Grizzly lockers are awesome. When I had a 44 it had a Detroit, Detroit blew up and I bought a Grizzly. It locked faster and harder. Everything says it has beefier innards. Detroit hasn't upgraded anything since they came out. If you're keeping the 44 then selectable is worth the investment.