• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

full spool up front

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The joints may be independent of each other, but they are connected via the steering. Phasing the joints avoids the lumpy offset you can get if the joints are not on the same plane as eachother. I've run my truck with the joints out of phase and it sucked - I lost steering axle and I could tell the joints were always loaded.

Then again this is on a D60, fully welded with full hydro steering - YMMV

Last edited:

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The joints may be independent of each other, but they are connected via the steering. V

huh? how? In any setup that is not effectively a spool, the u-joint phasing will always be entirely random and always changing.

And that said..I've never noticed anything different in how my front axle behaves while locked; every time its locked having, of course, an entirely different u-joint phasing then the last. But understanding u-joint mechanics, I can see how paying attention to the phasing when you assemble a spooled front dif could yield the benefit of reduced binding. However, as previously stated, I find the turning behavior of a locked front dif far too hateful to consider having a fully/permanently locked front in one of my trail rigs. Have used them in our mud bog racers though.;)

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'm spooled - so they never change. I just do it as a precaution, helps me sleep at night sorta thing.

I wheeled my Bronco with an open front end and hated it - I needed both tires to pull all the time, I do a lot of hill climbing and having one tire doing nothing is frustrating. At the time I welded my diff, there were no lunchbox lockers for the D60, so if I wanted a locker, I had to replace the carrier anyway, so nothing was lost.

I am twin sticked, between hills I am always in FWD low as it steers much better. The problem with a locked fornt is that the rear is almost always locked and it pushes it through the corners, I'm rebuilding a D70 with a power-loc and I'm hoping it will unlock when I'm front digging and allow me to turn easier.

If I had the $$$ to throw at it I would go Ox or ARB, but I don't and I just adjust my wheeling style due to it. Let's be honest though, boggers don't steer, lol, so I somewhat adjust where the truck is pointing so I can point and shoot.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Let's be honest though, boggers don't steer, lol, so I somewhat adjust where the truck is pointing so I can point and shoot.

Very valid point..I've seen that on occasion with my own lyin eyes.;D

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
I went two years of relentless front digs and WOT wheel hopping assaults to break a stub shaft.

You must not have enough power......%)

I did a nice front dig....well, on ROCKS....this year at OCBR on a pretty nasty level 5. It destroyed my drivers stub, spindle, locking nut, lock retainer ring and lock out. The Pit Bulls heat up like drag slicks though, and the people watching said I started to climb over with just my front axle. ;D

Sorry about the detour, couldn't help myself.:cool:

russellmn

Loc.
Barnum, MN
At the time I welded my diff, there were no lunchbox lockers for the D60, so if I wanted a locker, I had to replace the carrier anyway, so nothing was lost.

Since it's derailed once or twice already... Ummmm, Kyle? You know that LockRights have been available for d60s since at least (when I bought my first one) 2002? Just sayin... ;D

bluesbish

Loc.
Upstate New York
I have to say that kyle has a very valid point about the phasing of the ujoints with a welded or spooled front end. Many of you have stated that they are two seperate axles doing different things and are independant of each other. This is not the case when you have a spool installed. with the spool, each "seperate" axle becomes one solid axle. this functions the exact same as a driveshaft. if you have a 2 joint drive, the yokes should stay parallel. if your front axles are locked together and you are making a turn, your yokes will be the same as a drive shaft. Say you had your front axles as far out of phase as you could get them and locked together. then you jacked the front wheels of your rig off the ground with the engine off and trans in neutral and both hubs locked. then turn the steering wheel to one side or the other. your steering will bind as one u-joint will be close to a position to allow steering and the other will not. there are only 4 positions in the rotation of the axle shaft tha will allow steering. if the u-joints are in extreme out of phase, there will be no position to allow steering. this most likely would not be very noticeable in the mud or snow, but would make a huge difference on rocks or pavement. I imagine that under load, it would automatically try and straighten out the steering wheel or just break something. If you don't believe me, take a driveshaft out of your truck, seperate the two halfs and reassemble them as out of phase as possible. then install the driveshaft back in the truck and try and rotate it by hand. rotating it by hand in the middle of the shaft is the same as the ring and pinion are doing to your front axles. you will find that you can't do it or it is extremely difficult. an open diff automatically phases the axles during turning maneuvers by speeding up one axle or allowing the other axle to rotate slightly backwards. hope everyone was able to follow me on this one. My vote is yes, axle u-joint phasing matters big time with a spool or lincoln locker.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I have to say that kyle has a very valid point about the phasing of the ujoints with a welded or spooled front end. Many of you have stated that they are two seperate axles doing different things and are independant of each other. This is not the case when you have a spool installed. with the spool, each "seperate" axle becomes one solid axle. this functions the exact same as a driveshaft. if you have a 2 joint drive, the yokes should stay parallel. if your front axles are locked together and you are making a turn, your yokes will be the same as a drive shaft. Say you had your front axles as far out of phase as you could get them and locked together. then you jacked the front wheels of your rig off the ground with the engine off and trans in neutral and both hubs locked. then turn the steering wheel to one side or the other. your steering will bind as one u-joint will be close to a position to allow steering and the other will not. there are only 4 positions in the rotation of the axle shaft tha will allow steering. if the u-joints are in extreme out of phase, there will be no position to allow steering. this most likely would not be very noticeable in the mud or snow, but would make a huge difference on rocks or pavement. I imagine that under load, it would automatically try and straighten out the steering wheel or just break something. If you don't believe me, take a driveshaft out of your truck, seperate the two halfs and reassemble them as out of phase as possible. then install the driveshaft back in the truck and try and rotate it by hand. rotating it by hand in the middle of the shaft is the same as the ring and pinion are doing to your front axles. you will find that you can't do it or it is extremely difficult. an open diff automatically phases the axles during turning maneuvers by speeding up one axle or allowing the other axle to rotate slightly backwards. hope everyone was able to follow me on this one. My vote is yes, axle u-joint phasing matters big time with a spool or lincoln locker.

With that logic you would need to phase the front to rear driveshaft every time you put the transfer case in 4WD. Because that would be like the front driveshaft being the left axle and the rear driveshaft being the right axle. the center section is doing the power delivery and each side is indipendent of the other. A multi-joint driveshaft can stack phasing and that is a source of pulsation, but in a front axle you are not stacking joints, power is split and following 2 seperate paths not related to each other.

You can phase your joints if you like, but don't preach lies that they HAVE to be phased.

You are overthinking this.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I hope everyone was able to follow me on this one. My vote is yes, axle u-joint phasing matters big time with a spool or lincoln locker.

You missing entirely the simple point that the many, many of us running ARBs are effectively running spools but without the slightest concern for the random phasing of the u-joints that we get every time we lock up.;D

hartbronco

Loc.
Powell River B.C Can
WOW ..... You Guys %) ...... Just get a Spool , ARB , Detroit , or weld it !! Ujoints don't come into play . This is like watching someone Kick a dead Horse ;D

Sorry for My 2 cents.