• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Frost plug block heater

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
For some reason my 77 didn't have a block heater, at least a frost plug element one, very uncommon up here in the frozen tundra. ?:?

I removed the inline heater hose heater that was on it when stripping it down to the frame, and for some reason totally forgot to punch one in when I had the 302 out in the engine stand, so now I'm doing it on the block in the chassis.

Anything to watch out for?
What is the best location, center plug I assume?
I'm also considering putting a 2nd one in on the other side too.

TIA

TOFIC

Bronco Wrencher and Fixer
Loc.
Redcliff Alberta
I disagree the best one is the recirculating tank type of a diesel transport truck. You can get them from the local PeaveyMart or Princess Auto but they ain't cheap. Mine cost me 115 bucks. They look like little hot water tanks which coincidentally they are. I had mine in the return line of the the heater hose and it worked great. Motor was warm, heater worked almost immediately and started like a dream.
Give them a try really are worth the money.
TOFIC

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Malcolmzilla,

PM me before you go and buy one. Got a brand new one from Napa I bought last year and never got in. Probably won't get it in this year either as I'm not driving my rig this winter. I'll make ya a deal.

72_EB

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
$30 CDN, I installed it in recommended location, passenger rear right frost plug.

Behind the #$@! exhaust manifold and #$@! starter, both had to come out to get it in. Also, installed in recommended element orientation, the #$@! harness comes right out into the #$@! exhaust manifold.

Alternative location was the drivers rear frost plug, which has a the #$@! exhaust manifold right across it, but in hindsight looks more suitable/accessible.

Attachments

• Block heater.JPG
    Block heater.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 39
  • driv rear frost plug.JPG
    driv rear frost plug.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
They will work any place you can get it in easily, but its a little late for you now to find out. Its not like they take it up to 180 degrees or anything, but they make a world of difference when its really cold plus save cold start wear on the motor. Use it on a 2 hour timer before you start it, they will burn out if left on all night all winter

OP
OP
malcolmzilla

malcolmzilla

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Calgary, AB, Canada
Yeah, I had 2 of 'em installed on a reman I had in my 88 GMC, plug it in for 30 minutes even at -40 and it was good to go, tuned over real nice. I have yet to have one burn out on me though, just never had to install one...

I also have the hose heater contraption that came out, think it works, will keep it on hand, my brother wanted it for his VW Vanagon.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
I burnt out 2 because Id leave them on all night as I was subject to call outs at night as a lineman in winter when it was really cold. Under normal 1-2 hour use I doubt they would ever burn out

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
another thing that your motor will like is If you bring your battery inside the house at night too, it will purr at you in the morning ;D

RajinCajun

Bronco Guru
Loc.
HawleyTX, La orig.
I just had to throw this out there. I will NEVER use one of this type of block heater again. First off I have seen several work flawless with a timer on them so they come on an hour before you get up and head out.. But my Dad had a problem with his 6.9 Ford Diesel leaking water by a freeze plug...actually it was from the block heater...so we pulled it and got a temp rubber replacement just to get us by a day or two so we could get time to pull the starter etc and put in a brass plug.. Well the rubber one leaked too...so we put some silicone and let is set over night.. Still leaked.. Pulled it and got to looking and noticed the block was cracked from the edge of the freeze plug hole back toward the back of the block(this will come into play later)... So after some cussing and finding another good engine a few months later, we swapped them out first pulling the existing block heater from the new engine and checking everything out and installing a new block heater with the element facing toward the back as recommended...

All is well with the world...running great and not leaking any water...that is until it gets cool a few days and I tell him if he shoots either to it I will kick his A$$..so he plugs it in on a timmer so it comes on an hour before he leaves... This goes fine for about a week and then he calls me up and says the F(^(^&* truck is leaking water again from the same place.. I am sure you all know where this is going by now... From what we can figure, the block heater is causing the block to crack for some reason... Honestly I don't know why it is happening, and it may be just a freak thing, but I will never run a freeze plug style block heater again..
Sorry to hijack the thread, but I wanted to share my experience/problem..

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
yes I have had 2 like this on my 302, did not fit correctly , and removed them completely. I had one in my old Isuzu diesel.
leaked too.
We use the resirctulate type at work, ,, we have so little trouble with them , I forgot about them till Old fart brought them up

burntfish

Loc.
ouray, co
i just put the tank type heater in line with the heater hoses on mine. works great. it was -7deg two nights ago and it started right up and the windows were defrosted in 5 mins with 12 in of snow on it. got mine at checkers for 27 bucks.

Smarty6

Loc.
Saskatchewan, Canada
inline heater

I don't have a pic for you, but I installed mine on the passanager side. Due to how thermo syphons work, You have to make sure that the tank part is the lowest part of your cooling system. this means you have to attach it to your frame rail. mine was extreamly tight but had enough room between the rad and exhaust manifold(just below my battery). it is also really close to the cooling plug you have to remove, so it ends up looking tidy. At -25c like we had just this week up here, it worked great.

mtkawboy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Billings Mt
Must be a crappy block problem, Ive used then for the last 30 years trouble free outside of 2 burning up. As far as bringing the battery in at night and installing it at -20 in the middle of the night, Ill pass on that, never had a problem starting

feitctaj

FNG
Loc.
Group W Bench
a warm battery , might make you happy and the rig too ;) oh yeah quick disconnects are nice too. On a ice fishing trip, I brought it inside and was sold from then on.
Of course , if you don't have a diesel it might not be important. But the motor will love you for it. in a gas pot too!