• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Door

englewoodcowboy

Lick Creek Restorations
I am thinking of converting my 73 to the 77 type fuel door. I am looking for things I need to source, things to buy etc. My rig needs all new floors so I figured I would get the rear section for the 77 when I order those but I need to find a door. I will also need measurements etc. to install it correctly. This is the research stage of things and I am also looking for pros/cons of doing that setup vs. leaving the old style.

Any help is always appreciated!

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Hi,

I want to do the same mod and have been collecting the parts for a while now. Here's what I think you'll need.

1. A clip of the 77 quarter panel with the fuel door. Make sure there's enough metal so you can clean up the line and be able to weld it to your quarter panel.

2. 77 filler tube with that plastic box that goes behind the fuel door.

3. 77 gas cap, it's different than the other ones.

FYI, from what I can tell, there's other 70's Ford trucks/vans with the same fuel door out there. Finding Bronco specific ones is difficult to say the least. BUT Randy at Driven Auto in AZ might have some from Ford trucks, maybe 77 Broncos but the Bronco ones can get pricey fast since there are no reproductions on the market.

Also, the inner quarter panel structure is different in a 77. The shape allows for the filler tube to be run differently so you'll need to fab up a sheet metal patch and weld it too. See if you can get someone to post pics of it or go Google it.

I'm waiting to install mine when I get the old girl painted.

Good luck!
:cool:

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
To add to Chris' list, the fuel hose size is different on a '77 vs the earliers, so you you will have to adapt your tank's filler to the larger(?) size of the '77 filler neck, or neck-down the filler neck to standard size.
We do have some adapter hoses at WH, so it might be worth a call when you get to that point to see if we can put something together for you. It's possibly a long-shot, but worth a call.

As mentioned, if you can't find an EB specific door, just go with what looks close. Any '77.5 to '79 F-series. Probably any year after that, plus vans, would work too. Not sure of the structure behind them, but the doors at least are close in shape, if not size.

Paul

hewie73

Loc.
Morrice, MI
77 fuel doors

hi there, i have 2 1977 broncos with the fuel doors. I'm parting out both trucks. do u need front and rear doors or just rear,as my trucks have both and i wouldnt want to get stuck with one or the other. I've got the inner sheetmetal too (not sure of condition)

pm me if interested.

Thanks Chad.

P.s. I have the plastic rear tanks as well. I believe those are 77 specific.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Chad,
He will need the cut out of sheet metal from around the doors too. It's a stamped portion of the quarter panel that he needs to weld and graft onto his quarter panel in order for the fuel door to be installed and operate properly. Don't throw out those quarter panels!
Thanks for posting.
:cool:

mac0424

Loc.
NY
Does anyone have the measurements to graph in the front and rear doors? I'm installing a new 23 gallon tank so Only be using the one door but I have 2 doors and would like to keep the look of 1977.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
I'm in the same place. I have used all '77 on my '70. But just from the main fuel door back (filler, dor, tank, hose, overflow, etc). Now I need to do the AUX Dor.

Can any one post some measurements (from seam, fender & window -OR- 3 other points) so I can graft in the other in its proper location. I have everything I need, just wanna lill help w/locating...

Same w/the '73/4 forward core support 'hole' for the fresh air tube.

brncofinatic

guys, just went out and measured my 77. For the front fuel door the measurement from the fender edge at the door to the indent for the fuel door it measures 3 1/2". to the other side it measures 10 1/4". From the top seam to the top indent it measure 3" and to the bottom indent 8 7/8". The back fuel door measures 1 1/4 from the rear quarter panel seam to the first indent 8" to the far indent. The top and bottom are the same as the front fuel door 3" down from seam to top and 8 7/8 to the bottom. hope this helps.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
"...hope this helps....'
If triangulated (need 3 points & fairly precisely located, plus precisely located on the flipper dor too).
I can give door measurements as I have them from bronks - later, much later (not outside my door) for off model comparisons...
Thnx fanatic~

brncofinatic

I was thinking since the lines are parallel and perpendicular, if you use two points to establish each line, top, bottom and each side then extend them until they cross you will have the exact location of the recess hole. The fuel doors actually bolt into the hole with the hinge so they can be slightly adjusted, thus those measurements can vary slightly. I will relook and see if there is something to triangulate off of. Mine has chrome and is cut pretty deep for the tires so not sure I will find a spot.

chrlsful

Bronco Guru
'S alright.
Anything is better than nuttin.
To complicate it is to become more accurate.
A good center cross on the dor would make lines (use of line level or other & 4 ft double bubble for the horizontal) would also B a place to give accuracy. Just like the non-existent core support hole for the 'fresh air tube' (grill is off and cutting in easy at this point) accuracy is a good thing to have.
You're doing us a favor so just put in what U want. Not pushy here~
8^0

Madgyver

Bronco Madman
if grafting in a fuel door on earlier models, keep in mind the location of your flare if its a cut bronco quarter. You will want to mock up your flares with the tire and wheel combo that you will use, and then set the fuel door where it won't end up in the flare.

Attachments

• 139568214_10219120304984595_8583083406353494063_n.jpg
    139568214_10219120304984595_8583083406353494063_n.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 14