• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel filler hose - stumped on 2 options

Millercorey

Installing BC Broncos 23 gallon tank soon that's setup for carb. I'm stumped on the fuel filler hose needed. There's option one which the vent hose integrated into the filler hose, and option 2 that's just two random separate fuel hoses.

Currently, Bronco has stock tank with 3 feet of vent hose just laying open on the frame rail. There's a charcoal canister, but nothing is hooked up. I'm guessing stock setup was for that vent hose to terminate in the charcoal canister?

So my question is, for stock carb setup and the bc Broncos tank, which do I need?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171225-124734.jpg
    Screenshot_20171225-124734.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20171225-124744.jpg
    Screenshot_20171225-124744.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 60

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The fuel filler neck(1st pic) is what is mounted to the quarter panel and runs down inside the wheel well and it is steel. You should already have this. The second pic are the two hoses that go from the filler neck to the tank stubs.

OP
OP
Millercorey

Millercorey

The fuel filler neck(1st pic) is what is mounted to the quarter panel and runs down inside the wheel well and it is steel. You should already have this. The second pic are the two hoses that go from the filler neck to the tank stubs.

So any reason why the vent hose wouldn't be hooked up to the metal vent hose in the first pic?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
You will need the vent hose hooked to the filler neck. It allows for easier filling of the tank. You could run without it if you want but Id run it. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the charcoal canister doesn't hook directly to the gas tank there is usually a expansion tank that it hooks to before the fuel tank that way it catches vapors and not raw fuel.

langester

Contributor
MASTER OF MADNESS
What year is your Bronco? Does your current filler neck look like the one in the first picture or is it just the one large tube?

OP
OP
Millercorey

Millercorey

What year is your Bronco? Does your current filler neck look like the one in the first picture or is it just the one large tube?

I need to check when I get home. It's a 71 and I'm guessing it's all stock based on most everything else I've found on the truck

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
A '71 would have had the charcoal canister up on the passenger side front frame rail near the firewall. It would have also had the condensing tank behind a panel near the driver's left shoulder that broncnaz mentioned. It would also have the extra fill-vent line attached to the filler neck on BOTH tanks if you have dual tanks (early model aux tanks did not get the vent).
As mentioned, the rubber hoses are the interface between the steel tank and the steel filler necks. You will use at least part of both sizes of hose. They are often sold in the proper length, but with so many possible small variations between one Bronco and another, it's cheap insurance for the seller to include slightly longer vent hose than you might need.
So you may need to cut it shorter to fit your particular application. Or not...

The evaporative (charcoal) canister vent lines (1 for aux/front tanks, 2 for main/rear tanks) first go to the condensing tank that's mounted higher than the fuel tanks. Any liquid flows back to the main tank via the second vent line. Then a single line feeds remaining vapors to the charcoal canister up front.
A simpler and cleaner (and more driver friendly) method is to replace the old steel can on the frame to a more modern plastic tank mounted higher up on the firewall or wheel well, then plumb both tank evap vents into a "T" junction and have the single line feed the new, higher mounted charcoal canister.

It's not 100% necessary to do this upgrade, but the main reason for this (because there is nothing really wrong with the old design itself) is to avoid fumes in the cabin when the plastic condensing tank inevitably starts leaking.

Bottom line for the basic setup though, as someone mentioned, is that if your existing steel filler neck is not damaged or missing you only need the rubber replacement filler and vent hoses.

Paul

PaveBronco

I just put a new 23G tank in mine, finished it last week, all new hoses and charcoal canister, come on down, take a look if you want to take a road trip from Frisco.
feel free to PM me.

Rob