• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Gauge And Amp Gauges Don't Work Any Suggestions?

supercrewsteve

I Own A 1970 Bronco With Dual Tanks.i Installed New Gauges And New Fuel Select Switch But Still Don't Have Amp Gauge Or Fuel Gauge.i Had A Mechanic Check It Out And He Said All Gauges Test Good As Do My Fuel Tank Sending Units.he Thought The Fuel Select Switch Was Bad But The New One Made No Difference.he Said If I Could Get Him A Wiring Schematic He Could Trace The Problem.please Help!!

SeaBiscuit68

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tacoma Wa
supercrewsteve said:
where are the grounds that would effect only the ampmeter and fuel gauges located?

Ground for temp and oil and fuel is the sending units themselves. Well actually the fuel ones have a black wire that attaches to the frame for ground. The ampmeter is another matter. You mention installing new gauges. Stock or aftermarket? If stock, did you just add another cluster or actually replace just the gauges? Did you do this yourself? Has your alternator been upgraded? That is common and often eliminates the ampmeter.

OP
OP
S

supercrewsteve

I Bought A Rebuilt Speedo Unit.the Only Brand New Gauge Is The Amp Meter.all The Others Test Good.i Did Not Replace The Alternater.the Old Gauges That Were In The Truck Worked Except The Amp Meter.and Sometimes The Fuel Gauge Would Stop Working Unless I Wiggled The Fuel Tank Switch.then It Quit Entirely.thats When I Installed The New Unit And Fuel Switch.but Still Only Have Oil Pressure And Temp.

OP
OP
S

supercrewsteve

i just removed both fuel tank grounds,cleaned them good and reatatched.i also pulled the plugs off the sending units on the tanks as well as looking at all the wires from the tanks and they all look decent.still no fuel gauge.

zombiescustoms

Loc.
Abingdon
when I flip to my aux tank the guage dosen't work but I think that is just the sender, try grounding the guage on the side that the sender goes if it works there may be a problem with the sender or wiring from sender to guage. also try making a jumper wire to eliminate to fuel switch.

OP
OP
S

supercrewsteve

Fuel Gauge Problem And Fluid Replacement?

I Attatched A Grond Wire To One Side Of The Fuel Gauge And The Gauge Pegs To Full.since It Was Working Before I Don't See How Both Sending Units Could Go Out At The Same Time.i Just Don't Get It And It Is Driving Me Insane Since This Bronc Is A Daily Driver.also I Need To Replace The Standard Tranny Fluid As Well As The Front Diff And Transfer Case.can Any One Tell Me What I Should Use In These Cases?there Are A Few Seeping Old Seal Leaks In The Tranny Front Diff And Transfer Case.has Anyone Had Any Luck With Leak Stopper Addatives In These Areas.i Am Just Trying To Save A Few Bucks,any Info Would Be Greatly Appriciated.thanks.