• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel gauge help - Explorer pump original gauge

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
Help please. I have my 2000 Explorer pump in the tank and hooked up. It runs however the sending unit controls the gauge opposite of what it should. Meaning when the sender shows it should be full, the gauge shows it empty. Is there any way to reverse this on the sender or gauge? What have you all done to correct this. Thanks

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Is there any way to reverse this on the sender or gauge?
Not without a complicated (expensive) custom electronic adapter.
What have you all done to correct this.
The gauge/sender circuit changed from thermal (6V) to magnetic (12V) in '87. So when I put a '96 tank into my '83, I put an '87-96 gauge into the older cluster.

For the details of the magnetic system, click this, then hit CTRL+F, type "magnetic" (no quotes), and read down from there.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Not without a complicated (expensive) custom electronic adapter.The gauge/sender circuit changed from thermal (6V) to magnetic (12V) in '87. So when I put a '96 tank into my '83, I put an '87-96 gauge into the older cluster.

For the details of the magnetic system, click this, then hit CTRL+F, type "magnetic" (no quotes), and read down from there.

But those two clusters are very similar.

How will this help with a '66-'77 Bronco gauge cluster?

Broncobowsher

Total hack

It doesn't.

I've been thinking a little bit. Look for an aftermarket gauge that will work and do a mod like converting the amp gauge to a volt gauge. Only you are converting a gas gauge (old) to a gas gauge (aftermarket).

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
It doesn't.

I've been thinking a little bit. Look for an aftermarket gauge that will work and do a mod like converting the amp gauge to a volt gauge. Only you are converting a gas gauge (old) to a gas gauge (aftermarket).

Since I'm already going to replace the amp gauge with a volt gauge, and thinking about replacing the oil pressure gauge in the cluster with a modified aftermarket one fitted in the cluster,..........why not an aftermarket gas gauge?

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
Unfortunately it's so far down the to-do list that he will probably be done before I will.

Will a 10-184 ohm gauge work with a 16-158 ohm sender?

Or are we looking at needing a new sender as well?

Steve83

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way
Possibly in geometric layout, but not as similar electronically as the '83 is to the '66-77.
My post answers the questions that I quoted. %) And it might help, if he chooses to strip the faceplate off the '00 fuel gauge, build a faceplate for it that matches the '66-77 cluster, and then install that assembly - much like doing the MarsChariot voltmeter mod.
Will a 10-184 ohm gauge work with a 16-158 ohm sender?
That depends on what you mean by "work". It will certainly cause the needle to move, though not through the needle's entire range of motion; and not necessarily in the correct direction, depending on which side the float arm is bent to.

OP
OP
A

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
Ok, I figured out how to reverse the reading on the guage. I disassembled the sending unit and rotated the resistance board to the plate sider rather that the plastic side. I stuck the board to the plate that the plastic piece clips in with some double sided tape. I hope it holds up in the gas. I also had to bend the needle on the sender for the new board position. It now moves correctly but only reads about 3/4 of a tank in the full position about 1/4 at half a tank position and E when empty. And way to amplify the ohms to get to a full tank reading?

I have also converted my Amp guage to a volt gauge and was thinking of doing the same with the fuel guage. Is there a guage that works with the explorer sending unit ohms range that could be modified to fit the cluster? My motto is "Where there's a will, there a way". I have the will.

Thanks for the help. BTW, it came alive for the first time in 2+yrs tonight.

OP
OP
A

agboy91

Loc.
Bishop, GA
Ok Steve83, thanks for the help. So how do you get the Explorer gauge to fit in the original cluster?

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Agboy how's this thing coming? I just ran into the same issue tonight.

ralls

Loc.
Andalusia
So why couldn't you swap the stock sender in place of the Explorer one on the pump unit. They both bolt on.