• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel Injection

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
deltarat, stay away from holley EFI unless you want to plunk down the dollars for the Holley Commander system. Lot and lots of issues with the holley systems. You could also look at either the Howell EFI system or Turbo city EFI. Personally I have installed three Ford SEFI systems and all of them have worked great. I would suggest that you pony up the money and buy one of the new harness's, Ford or Ryans. Ryan/RJM harness has some good pro's such as having an easy hookup for the Baumanator harness to run an AODE or the easy ability of swapping from a manual to auto computer if needed. You can do this yourself by swapping pins but it's nice to have it this handy. The RJM harness is really really easy to install for the first timer. The Ford harness is really well built as well and is very easy to install too.

As others mentioned the Ford stuff can be had very very cheaply, all of it is usually available locally and you have a wealth of tech help here and other sites on the net. People get very scared by the EFI install and yes it does take some research and reading to gain an understanding. But consider this, how many people really really understand carbs? At this point I know as much if not more about SEFI as I do about all the carbs I have run on other rigs in the past. At OCBR, a buddy wondered around asking people about his wierd carb problem and most everyone said they didn't know much about carbs. I would be willing to bet these same people would likely be afraid to try the SEFI install on their rig.

Dig up the parts and do the Ford SEFI equipment, you won't regret it!

Ben

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
with the right parts the ford efi install could be done in a weekend.

you will have the same issues with holleey or any other aftermarket efi. you have to install O2 sensors, decide on a fuel pump/ line options, throttle hook up, etc. these are the basic issues. anyone can install an EFI intake and distributor.

if you ahve any questions i am almost a neighbor. while i went the cheaper and harder route i can help you do it custom and expensive if you prefer :)

Bart

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Buffalo Gap, Texas
One of the simplest ways to EFI is to use a Throttle body. Howell makes a nice unit that bolts right on top of your intake. About 4 sensors and you're good to go. I've had TB for years and it works great. Some times too great. Lay it on the side and you have to turn off the ignition to stop the engine.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Bart, which TBI system are you running?

As far as rolling or laying it on it's side, why not wire in a cut off like the ford SEFI unit or a low oil pressure switch to shut down the engine. In fact I wouldn't run EFI without such a switch in case of a wreck, roll etc.

Ben