• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Fuel line question- thoughts and opinions needed

tw322

So I just had my entire exhaust replaced from the headers back and during the process I received a call from the guy who was concerned about the fuel line. He said all my fuel line is plastic and was (rightly) concerned about welding near it. We solved the issue but I am worried about the overall safety of plastic fuel line. I am looking at the stainless steel line as a replacement. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Is there anything that is a better option?

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The plastic lines have lasted 40 years on not only your rig, but many others, so I wouldn't say that it's inherently unsafe. That said, when I replace mine, I'll make my own lines from Cu/Ni tubing just because it's easier to work with than stainless and something that I know I can easily make a trail fix on should the need ever arise, where I can't say the same for the plastic stuff.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
The nylon line works fine. Stainless or aluminum is an option. I just replumbed my Bronco and went back with the nylon line. The PO had run rubber line from tank to carb. Now that's scary. If I was doing a frame off I might try one of the hard lines just for appearance. Are there any areas where your exhaust is really close to the fuel line? If so a heat shield may be in order. If going to hard line you may still need a heat shield as steel or aluminum will be more prone to heat transfer to the fuel and possibly cause some vapor lock issues.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

The plastic lines have lasted 40 years on not only your rig, but many others, so I wouldn't say that it's inherently unsafe. That said, when I replace mine, I'll make my own lines from Cu/Ni tubing just because it's easier to work with than stainless and something that I know I can easily make a trail fix on should the need ever arise, where I can't say the same for the plastic stuff.

Please educate me it's been awhile since I had chemistry...what is Cu/Ni tubing? I am looking for the best and safest option and if it happens to be the nylon/plastic stuff then that's what I will go with. I was reading another forum.....about newer Jeep owners having similar concerns (yes I know...I only stumbled on it when I did a search about plastic fuel lines). That's how this came up and I was looking for input on here. Thanks.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

The nylon line works fine. Stainless or aluminum is an option. I just replumbed my Bronco and went back with the nylon line. The PO had run rubber line from tank to carb. Now that's scary. If I was doing a frame off I might try one of the hard lines just for appearance. Are there any areas where your exhaust is really close to the fuel line? If so a heat shield may be in order. If going to hard line you may still need a heat shield as steel or aluminum will be more prone to heat transfer to the fuel and possibly cause some vapor lock issues.

Good point about a heat shield. I actually should clarify that mine is a mix of rubber and plastic/nylon line. There isn't really any area that is super close but it was more of an issue when he was welding the new exhaust in. As I mentioned above, I am really getting ideas from you guys on here on what is the safest and most practical.

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Please educate me it's been awhile since I had chemistry...what is Cu/Ni tubing? I am looking for the best and safest option and if it happens to be the nylon/plastic stuff then that's what I will go with. I was reading another forum.....about newer Jeep owners having similar concerns (yes I know...I only stumbled on it when I did a search about plastic fuel lines). That's how this came up and I was looking for input on here. Thanks.

Cu/Ni is are the elemental abreviations for copper & nickel, so Cu/Ni tubing is just that, about 90% copper and 9% nickel and 1% other stuff. One of the more popular trade names over the decades has been Cunifer tubing, but there are a few others as well. In any event, it is a very ductile tubing that cuts, flares and bends readily without any of the pesky work hardening properties so often associated with stainless steel tubing. It is also virtually as corrosion resistant as stainless steel due to it's high nickel content, so it has all of the strengths of stainless without any of the weaknesses.

I've been using it for my brake lines and won't use anything else at this point, so when I do fuel, I was planning on using it there as well.

Tobin

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
you can get stainless fuel line for reasonable cost from Summit and it's easy to unroll and put into place. mine has it front to back both fuel line and return for efi. mount it with those hangers that have rubber inside.

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

Interesting I had never heard of that but it sounds like a good option. Thanks Tobin, I learned something new!

OP
OP
tw322

tw322

you can get stainless fuel line for reasonable cost from Summit and it's easy to unroll and put into place. mine has it front to back both fuel line and return for efi. mount it with those hangers that have rubber inside.

I was wondering how hard it is to install.

savage

Contributor
Bronco Nut
Loc.
Renton
fuel line

I just did mine and went with stainless ones from Bc Bronco.The kit was 11-60411 DELUXE FUEL LINE KIT1 TANK. Products Price: $89.99.It was pretty straight forward.

Attachments

• fuel and brake line done 007.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 007.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 65
  • fuel and brake line done 008.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 008.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 61
  • fuel and brake line done 009.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 009.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 62
  • fuel and brake line done 010.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 010.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 57
  • fuel and brake line done 011.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 011.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 56
  • fuel and brake line done 012.jpg
    fuel and brake line done 012.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
tw322

tw322

Thanks for the pics Savage, that helps out a lot.

Fireball05

Bronco Guru
Savage and I did the fuel lines around the same time, same kit from BCB. I had to fight and futz around with mine quite a bit. My 76 came with a different proportioning valve in the front that had to be removed, the new fuel lines bent, and then reinstalled to fit properly. Plus the back of the line near the filter needed to be tweaked as well. Overall it is a nice product and I'm happy to have spent the time and energy to replace the fuel line as it's a nice safety thing, but it was not as easy or straightforward as I had hoped.

jw0747

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Antonio, TX
you asked about ease of installation. it comes from Summit rolled around itself so they can get it in a box about pizza size for UPS. before you get under your EB unroll it in an open area not under the truck. from there it's easy to install except for some minor bends. if you're worried about kinking it or a tight bend use one of those cheap tube benders from the a.p. store. to cut it get one of the cheap tube cutters from same a.p. store. difficult to use a hacksaw when you're under the truck.